• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

So how can u tell….

ryanm7277

When picking out the species I wanted to buy, I ultimately decided to get 2 of each hoping I would increase the chances of me getting a girl. Given the bad shipping experience I had, I am strongly convinced that I probably have all boys, but let’s stay optimistic.

So without a molt is there a way to sex them? Especially when they are juvenile?

Thanks, I am just starting to research watch sexing vids, but you help is appreciated!!!

Blackdog

When picking out the species I wanted to buy, I ultimately decided to get 2 of each hoping I would increase the chances of me getting a girl. Given the bad shipping experience I had, I am strongly convinced that I probably have all boys, but let’s stay optimistic.

So without a molt is there a way to sex them? Especially when they are juvenile?

Thanks, I am just starting to research watch sexing vids, but you help is appreciated!!!
You could get a wifi microscope to help sexing after a molt but it is still kinda a crapshoot.

SullivanC

The only time it might be easier to know their gender with no molt is if they already are fully grown adult since abdomen parts from bottom will be visible or if you have poecilotheria most of them when they grow big enough the black line on white part of abdomen pattern will eventually disappear with every molt if its a female

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You can ventrally sex them fairly easy as juveniles if you know what you're doing. You can also post ventral pictures here on the forum to get other folks opinions. :)

MBullock

3 Year Member
males have epiandrous fusillae which are generally readily apparent as a dark triangular or circular patch of hairs just above the epigastric furrow. some species have a lighter abdomen and the fusillae are lighter colored. in this case, the lighter fusillae are easier to see with magnification. A jeweler's loupe will be of great help.
The only time it might be easier to know their gender with no molt is if they already are fully grown adult since abdomen parts from bottom will be visible or if you have poecilotheria most of them when they grow big enough the black line on white part of abdomen pattern will eventually disappear with every molt if its a female
You can easily ventrally sex all tarantulas at quite a young age. the only actual difficulty lies within your ability to notice them, really. for tiny specimens you'll need a loupe to examine the furrow.
Ive noted sometimes female pokies can have a small dot on the furrow RIGHT where the epiandrous fusillae WOULD be, which can cause confusion. though once you know what the fusillae look like it's pretty obvious.