• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sling hiding

PokemonLover

3 Year Member
Hey guys, my B. Vagans (1cm) is hiding in it's burrow for 3 days now and hasn't eaten since.. I feed her every 2 days and she never rejected any roach I give her. Should I be worried or something?

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
If it's under the substrate, and the burrow hole is closed up, it's pre molt time!!!! It's their way of protecting themselves from predators while in that delicate state. As stated above...don't go overboard with the wet substrate. Just get a decent size water dish n keep it full.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Haven't seen mine since I got it, other then peeking in the burrow,
(I keep my containers nested in some styrofoam so they tend to burrow where I can see them)
All my slings have made burrows other then my T ockerti, she just hides behind a dirt curtain.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If it's under the substrate, and the burrow hole is closed up, it's pre molt time!!!! It's their way of protecting themselves from predators while in that delicate state. As stated above...don't go overboard with the wet substrate. Just get a decent size water dish n keep it full.
Koby did that, burrowed down in the starter I made and then walled off the opening.

Then the other day the wall was removed but still no molt. He hasn't eaten since thanksgiving. I try feeding him and he runs from all the food, prekilled or live. If i put a prekilled roach or cricket in front of the burrow he'll crawl up the side bank and go in upside down so he doesn't have to get near the food lol.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Koby did that, burrowed down in the starter I made and then walled off the opening.

Then the other day the wall was removed but still no molt. He hasn't eaten since thanksgiving. I try feeding him and he runs from all the food, prekilled or live. If i put a prekilled roach or cricket in front of the burrow he'll crawl up the side bank and go in upside down so he doesn't have to get near the food lol.

I doubt that's why it's doing that. If they're hungry enough, they will eat. They won't starve themselves to death :p

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In a week or two, you should be expecting a newly molted T. But then it all depends.... :D

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
He hasn't eaten for over a month. no molt yet either. Keeping the temp in the upper 70s and water dish full, drop a lateralis in every 3 days or so, remove it the next morning. Wish he'd finally get around to it :)

Latest posts