• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sling enclusure help

LegacyCode

3 Year Member
I've been thinking about getting a few slings (arboreal) in the near future and having some issues finding anything to house them in. So far pretty much everything i found was in the US and costs a fortune to ship to the EU or just doesn't ship to the EU. 2x plastic cube for $1.5 from the container store costs almost 100 euros to get here i could buy 2 exo terra terrariums for the same price. I found the same containers by looking for the distributor in the EU but they ask 15 euro's each excluding shipping from Belgium.

Jamiestarantulas had some nice kit's but they don't seem to ship to the EU
https://jamiestarantulas.com/arboreal-spiderling-enclosure-kit/

I've looked at webshops in my country but haven't been able to find any transparent plastic containers that could work, Food containers are mostly colored plastic, small jars with screw lids i've only seen sold in bulk of 100/1000 etc.

Does anyone have any idea where i could get anything in the EU or maybe some chinese seller on ebay that doesn't cost a fortune?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
lots of people use deli cups for slings. I personally don't just because i don't like the look of having 15 or so deli cups stacked on my desk or dresser ;) Plus when i used something similar to a deli cup the sound opening the lid freaked the T out and it bolted.

There's lot of other items you can use. Plastic peanut butter jars, dog biscuit jars (saving the one we got my dog for xmas for the avic when it grows up :)) cheese puff barrels are a favorite around here also.

LegacyCode

3 Year Member
I've only ever seen peanut butter come in glass jars and dog food in plastic bags/cardboard boxes.
Only seen those deli cups being sold in huge bulk to business clients only.

Came across these containers today, They seem to have a lid that can open in two ways without taking the whole thing off however it might just be too big for slings, The smallest one is 18,5x12,5x7,5 cm

These are the slings I'm looking at :
Avicularia Diversipes 2 cm (sadly no versicolors anywhere)
Poecilotheria Metallica 3.5 cm
Poecilotheria Regalis 2.5/3.5 cm

What I'll get kinda depends on what will be available by the time i get permission to keep more spiders in the house just want to make sure I've got everything figured out before that. Planning to get a few more then just one because it's probably the second and last time i can get the OK for that.

kJdpyZT.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've only ever seen peanut butter come in glass jars and dog food in plastic bags/cardboard boxes.
Only seen those deli cups being sold in huge bulk to business clients only.

Came across these containers today, They seem to have a lid that can open in two ways without taking the whole thing off however it might just be too big for slings, The smallest one is 18,5x12,5x7,5 cm

These are the slings I'm looking at :
Avicularia Diversipes 2 cm (sadly no versicolors anywhere)
Poecilotheria Metallica 3.5 cm
Poecilotheria Regalis 2.5/3.5 cm

What I'll get kinda depends on what will be available by the time i get permission to keep more spiders in the house just want to make sure I've got everything figured out before that. Planning to get a few more then just one because it's probably the second and last time i can get the OK for that.

kJdpyZT.jpg
Those look like the boxes that The Spiderman (Alan Hickens) uses, on youtube. He has a bunch in them, so I imagine they work very well. I don't like containers that make a lot of noise opening, but beggars can't be choosers if you're having trouble finding something..

LegacyCode

3 Year Member
Do you happen to have a link for the spiderman youtube channel? would be nice to see them being used.

Those cheese puff containers look nice, But as with the other stuff I've never seen them come in plastic jars. you get them in bags over here

I took a look at the UK site but it's quite expensive for some small temporary containers if you include shipping to the EU 2 of them equal a custom made terrarium:p

found some small plastic container in our storage that has some colored sugar in it when looking it up it costs about 2 euro's for one just have to dump out the sugar somewhere, It's about 7x7cm doubt it's gonna work for a p metallica sling that's 3.5cm already but it's a start

It's often the same over here in the EU you pay a fortune for simple stuff that you can get for pocket change in the US or just can't find it without importing something that usually costs quite a bit as well due to import taxes (21% tax over packets over 22 euros including shipping and often administration/handling fees + a load more when your combined price and shipping goes over 150 euros)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@LegacyCode Have you looked on eBay? There are containers designed for displaying things like Beanie Babies that can be used for Ts.

LegacyCode

3 Year Member
Yea i've looked around on ebay quite a bit, Haven't found anything i can justify using as temporary container price wise. Alibaba/aliexpress have nice containers but they don't accept paypal (got no credit card)

Last edited:

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yea i've looked around on ebay quite a bit, Haven't found anything i can justify using as temporary container price wise.
Alibaba/aliexpress have nice containers but they don't accept paypal (got no credit card)
Can you not get one that you load ? the prepaid types from your local store?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For my arboreal...... I got mine from one of those "poundshop" type shops. They are tall, see though (slightly frosted) and can easily have ventilation holes drilled. Screw top too. Ideal for my pokie and avic slings and juveniles.
Once fully grown, they go into proper tanks that are a bit more pleasing on the eye, but for all my "nursery" spiders I tend to be less anal about how good they look.
20160309_173410.jpg

LegacyCode

3 Year Member
Yea i don't want to go too crazy on the sling containers, was thinking about ordering custom glass terrariums once they become larger
a 20x20x30cm one with good ventilation seems to cost about 40~50 euro's.

Currently have my brachypelma smithi in a 30x30x30 exo terra, she's probably too small for it but seems to be doing fine, Only caught her climbing the first day i put her in there, Now she spends most of the time in or in front of her hide.

Just sent a mail to -> spidersworld.eu (might get the slings there) asking if they can sell anything to house them in.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Will

3 Year Member
IMO deli cups are ideal because they are crystal clear. What I do is cut a 1" diameter hole in the lid for easy feeding. That way I hardly ever have to disturb the T by removing the lid. I simply cover the hole with a piece of wood and just throw a cricket in when required.

Like this:
1457558931984-42857680.jpg

1457559254252596060399.jpg

LegacyCode

3 Year Member
While watching tv something just came to mind, We've had a certain brand of cookies in the past that come in a clear plastic container of a proper size with a lid on it, I looked them up online and they only cost between 1~2 euro's each, I guess I'll pick some up at some point:)

Picture from google image search :
koffie-jodekoeken-open.jpg

Latest posts