• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sling Concerns: not eating, now missing (?)

LauraMI

3 Year Member
So my Chaco Golden Knee hasn't eaten in at least a week. I gave it a teeny cricket two nights ago which it never ate. When I removed the cricket, I also removed the rocks and didn't find my sling or burrow entrance. Saw the sling moving around yesterday though & highly doubt it escaped.
I moved the cage into a quiet bedroom in the hopes it burrowed and is molting, but what do you all think? Gone to ground or eaten by the cricket? & how long should I give it?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Everyone's worst nightmare. The missing T! Hopefully, you are right and it is burrowing but you should find a burrow opening (most likely webbed over if molting). Can you describe the enclosure, the decorations and the cover?

LauraMI

3 Year Member
All's we'll....sorry if I wasted anyone's time.
I kinda' did everything wrong w/ the sling because I didn't know better (the breeder said what I did was fine & that these guys are hardier than I'd think.). Substrate is sand/coir/soil mix; there are two, small stones for cover, and a few Sansevieria plugs for my aesthetic's sake. I believe the sling has a burrow along the stem into the soil of one of these.
After moving the enclosure into a quieter room (I have a 1-year old boy), the sling emerged and seemed fairly active. Still worried it hadn't eaten and all I have here for it are 1/4" crickets (& it's a 1/4" spider), I followed some internet advice & had Husband kill a cricket. Dead-cricket is now totally missing & Apple's abdomen looks (to me) uncomfortably plump. :)
Problem seems solved.
Again, my apologies.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There is no waste of time on this forum. That is the best part of this group. No question is a bad question as we have such a wide variety of experiences that we can share and learn from. I am just happy the T showed up based on that cute baby you are holding in avatar pic. Not dangerous but, man, what an experience that would be for the little tike if you did not find it :eek:. Again, all of our worst nightmares. Happy it all worked out for the best.

LauraMI

3 Year Member
Have you tried prekilling the crickets? Some ts can be shy about eating.
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. Now little Apple is very plump and more active than I've seen it be in awhile. Started digging a burrow last night & I haven't seen it yet this a.m.
Had it for a month Saturday; hoping it's going to molt for me or I'll start power-feeding now that I know it takes them dead. I think that's what caused it to hide in the first place: the "big" cricket moving around scared it. Seeing as those crickets have eaten bearded dragon hatchlings alive, I don't blame the spider!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    618.9 KB · Views: 6

LauraMI

3 Year Member
I am just happy the T showed up based on that cute baby you are holding in avatar pic. Not dangerous but, man, what an experience that would be for the little tike if you did not find it :eek:. Again, all of our worst nightmares. .
I know, right?! I'm terrified of the day my cute lil' tike breaks into the T cages and lets them go! They're high up now, but he's smart. The first day he learned to crawl on the sofa, he squirmed straight to the chameleon's cage and opened the door!

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, then maybe I underestimated the little tike! :D. Sounds like we will have another T fan soon enough. Glad this all worked out for the best.

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
I'm glad to hear it started eating for you. That is a fantastic species. Our very first t was actually my daughter's who was 11 at the time. She and I did research on tarantulas for months before she decided on a G pulchripes. It was the perfect one to start out with. :)

Latest posts