• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Should i feed?

rénee

3 Year Member
I really hope this isn't a dumb question but, when i got home i noticed my G. Rosea has now made a bit of a webbing on the substrate basically where she always hides out, i was going to try feeding her right now BUT, i think i read somewhere that G. Roseas don't actually really create webs unless they are going into molt, and i also read that if she is pre-molting not to really feed her.

So basically my question is, is the whole webbing thing true about how they only really web when about to molt, or do they do that normally, and if that is the case should i not even bother to feed her since she probably won't eat it anyway. I just don't want to put a cricket in, accidentally fall asleep and have her molt overnight or something, i don't want the cricket to interfere with her.

Thanks! :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
IMG_20151117_232756.jpg
The webbing is normal, even G roseas leave a light mat of web all over their enclosure, you just don't see it until you try to move a water dish, or remove a bolus, and a large section of substrate moves because it's all webbed together :) You'll see what I mean when she gets everything to her liking. They do this as a defense and as a way to hunt anything that touches the web. I've never seen one that didn't at least leave a very thin invisible mat everywhere, some are just thicker and more obvious. Try dropping a cricket on the web and see if she takes it. If she doesn't just leave it for an hour and take it back out if she hasn't eaten it. A molting mat is thick and noticeable, as is the webbing they put around their hides, usually.

Last edited:

rénee

3 Year Member
oh wow!! haha ya no, her webbing is not nearly as thick as that, it is noticeable, i noticed it in a instant, because i check on her all the time, but its pretty thin lining, and there isn't a ton. I put a cricket in, unfortunately i failed at getting it on her web, but maybe the thing will step and get stuck in it haha. Will she hunt the food down, or are they more of a wait for the moment kind. It probably depends on how hungry she is though i guess.. she still hasn't eaten since i got her but her abdomen is still round so I'm not too worried.

Meludox

3 Year Member
She'll really only hunt it if she feels the vibrations of its movement, and even then will probably wait until it's very close to strike.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
oh wow!! haha ya no, her webbing is not nearly as thick as that, it is noticeable, i noticed it in a instant, because i check on her all the time, but its pretty thin lining, and there isn't a ton. I put a cricket in, unfortunately i failed at getting it on her web, but maybe the thing will step and get stuck in it haha. Will she hunt the food down, or are they more of a wait for the moment kind. It probably depends on how hungry she is though i guess.. she still hasn't eaten since i got her but her abdomen is still round so I'm not too worried.
She'll wait until it passes by, but like you said, it depends on how hungry they are. That pic I posted was my pulchripes on his molt mat, my G rosea leaves an almost unnoticeable amount of web on the ground, after being in her enclosure for years. My pulchripes is a rather heavy webber.

rénee

3 Year Member
i tried to get a pic of it.. but ya it is not noticeable AT ALL with the camera.. haha i swear its there ;p

i got the cricket in her web now and unfortunately. hasn't taken it yet.. and i really doubt she will lol, oh well ill try again in a week :)

Attachments

• 20151119_225522.jpg
    20151119_225522.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13

N8tive556

3 Year Member
View attachment 12052 The webbing is normal, even G roseas leave a light mat of web all over their enclosure, you just don't see it until you try to move a water dish, or remove a bolus, and a large section of substrate moves because it's all webbed together :) You'll see what I mean when she gets everything to her liking. They do this as a defense and as a way to hunt anything that touches the web. I've never seen one that didn't at least leave a very thin invisible mat everywhere, some are just thicker and more obvious. Try dropping a cricket on the web and see if she takes it. If she doesn't just leave it for an hour and take it back out if she hasn't eaten it. A molting mat is thick and noticeable, as is the webbing they put around their hides, usually.

That's an awesome example of what mine did not too long ago.... Just on smaller scale lol

Attachments

• 20151104_012658.jpg
    20151104_012658.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 5

rénee

3 Year Member
Is it just me or does her abdomen look nice and dark? She may be due for a molt.

Oh i really hope so! She has a lot of the signs of pre-molt, i really hope I'm home to witness it :)

Thanks for all the pics too you guys, you all have some very lovely looking children there ;p
- My girl doesn't have near as much webbing as others but she will get there, as long as she has a bit starting it must mean I'm doing ok!

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When my brachys are doing the happy dance with food in their mouths, they are actually webbing the substrate around them. Eventually, it will get thick enough. ;)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My 2 Brachy's (Vagans and Boehmei) have yet to web. I need to redo the substrate in the Boehmei enclosure, and add a starter hide for him, maybe he will then. The Vagans is too busy happily digging a tunnel.

Latest posts