• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sex of my A. Geniculata ?

bookac

3 Year Member
Not sure if the picture is a good reference, but can some one try to sex my T ?

H2CYRpB.jpg

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Definitely big enough. Still, vent sexing isn't always 100 percent accurate. The best way to sex is via molt.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Bookac, if you can give me a pic of the inside of the molt (you can put a dab of water mixed with dish soap on it if its dry, or better yet soak it in it) where the book lungs are, I can tell you. You'll need needle nosed tweezers or 2 fine rigid wires to spread it out. The insides of bread loaf twist ties work. Then just try to focus the camera on the book lungs. The book lungs look like 4 white oddly shaped squares inside the abdomen, I need to look mainly at the top two, between them. Once the molt is soaked enough, the toughest part will be finding the split in the abdomen and separating the abdomen halves without tearing it or getting frustrated...you'll see what I mean, the abdomen is the most torn up and wrinkled and stuck together part of the molt. It just takes patience and practice. And more patience. While magnifying glasses work, there are digital microscopes for like 25 bucks online, they have a usb port for your computer to use as your view screen and to upload detailed pics. They are nice to have. My dog chewed mine up a few months ago. I found it under my bed... :( There's also a good site online called "index of tarantula spermathecae" or something like that, it has a bunch of pics of different species molts to compare to what you're looking at. Some species are much different than others.. I'm almost certain A genics are in there.

bookac

3 Year Member
Bookac, if you can give me a pic of the inside of the molt (you can put a dab of water mixed with dish soap on it if its dry, or better yet soak it in it) where the book lungs are, I can tell you. You'll need needle nosed tweezers or 2 fine rigid wires to spread it out. The insides of bread loaf twist ties work. Then just try to focus the camera on the book lungs. The book lungs look like 4 white oddly shaped squares inside the abdomen, I need to look mainly at the top two, between them. Once the molt is soaked enough, the toughest part will be finding the split in the abdomen and separating the abdomen halves without tearing it or getting frustrated...you'll see what I mean, the abdomen is the most torn up and wrinkled and stuck together part of the molt. It just takes patience and practice. And more patience. While magnifying glasses work, there are digital microscopes for like 25 bucks online, they have a usb port for your computer to use as your view screen and to upload detailed pics. They are nice to have. My dog chewed mine up a few months ago. I found it under my bed... :( There's also a good site online called "index of tarantula spermathecae" or something like that, it has a bunch of pics of different species molts to compare to what you're looking at. Some species are much different than others.. I'm almost certain A genics are in there.

Thanks Mass.. I have the molt , but i think there is not much left from the skin of the abdomen.. because she/he chewed it, i will try to see whats left from the molt skin.. And also the molting was 2 weeks ago.. I will check what i can get from ebay for digital microscope. And if the molt is destroyed, i will wait for the next molt.. Thanks for the info.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks Mass.. I have the molt , but i think there is not much left from the skin of the abdomen.. because she/he chewed it, i will try to see whats left from the molt skin.. And also the molting was 2 weeks ago.. I will check what i can get from ebay for digital microscope. And if the molt is destroyed, i will wait for the next molt.. Thanks for the info.
Anytime man, and try soaking it overnight, or for a few hours in the water/dishsoap solution...you may be surprised :)