• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sex and Specimen Identification

Adrian le Plastrier

3 Year Member
Hey all

I got 2 new t's just the other day, and was wondering if it is possible to identify the sex and species if this T.

The other T i got was a Venezuelan suntiger (Psalmopoeus irminia).

Please help me sex and identify this one:

Please notice the Red Rump.......

Attachments

• 650cdc8b-c20d-4a99-902f-0482d455769e.jpg
    650cdc8b-c20d-4a99-902f-0482d455769e.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 77

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Have you got an exudium of this little guy? It's one sure way of sexing juvy Ts.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
N chromatus possibly, need a ventral shot between the book lungs where the two body segments meet to venture a guess at gender.

Adrian le Plastrier

3 Year Member
Hey guys

Thank you for your responses n sorry i took so long to reply.

You are all right with the species: Nhandu chromatus. I can concur with that.

Below i have uploaded a picture of my Nhandu chromatus, named Isis....... ( after the Egyptian Goddess and not the Islamic Movement)

Any info that you can give me to ensure this T is happy and healthy.

I can rate she is about 3 - 4 years......

Attachments

• 20151212_140957_HDR.jpg
    20151212_140957_HDR.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 26

Adrian le Plastrier

3 Year Member
And also.......

I have a Psalmopoeus irminia, which is very active during the evenings and still during the day (i take it they are nocturnal).

The reason for this is to find out why she is constantly climbing the sides, tries to get on the roof of the tank, then she falls, tries again but falls. she will do this all night, and everytime she falls i get chills down m spine coz im scared she will hurt herself badly.

Any advise on this? should i build her a long cage so she can climb as she is an arboreal tarantula, or what can you suggest for me?

Thank you

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
For Nhandu chromatus: not very hard to care for. I keep mine with a good hide, some substrate depth (she likes to have a secure burrow), and a full water dish. As she comes from tropical forest, I use to pour some water in a corner of the enclosure once a week / once every two weeks. That's it for mine.

I'm a little more worried about your irminia, but it might be because I misunderstood your post (english isn't my first langage!). She climbs: normal, as she's arboreal. Did you give her a vertical enclosure with a vertical cork bark and enough substrate (they like to dig under or inside the cork bark)? She needs that. She might be climbing because there's a problem with the substrate too: no mites? Not too wet?

My irminia enclosure is 25 cm (wide) x 25 cm (depth) x 30 cm (high), and she's almost adult.

What worries me is that she falls. It happens with fossorial spp., but has never happened to my arboreals. They have very good scopulae under their tarses, then it should be rare that a fall happen with those... It might be because, when a molt is near, the adherence under the legs isn't good anymore because of the new skin getting ready, but once again, I'm not sure about arboreal tarantulas.

Could you send a picture of your irminia + a picture of your enclosure?

Adrian le Plastrier

3 Year Member
Hey Nicolas.

Thank you for your response. When I get home later I will post a pic. I hav also heard that when it comes close to a molt that she starts losing grip on her feet. She is still accepting food n doesn't look like she will molt anytime soon.

I have ensured there is no mold or mites in the enclosure. When she walks on the ground she is fine. N can stay there for hours.... The enclosure is a square enclosure but I want to upgrade it for her so she can climb.

P.s. your English is good

Adrian le Plastrier

3 Year Member
Hey there...

As requested here are the pics of my enclosures.

Tomorrow is a public holiday so i will be changing the cage for my Psalmopoeus irminia and will post more pics.
20151214_213619_HDR-1~2.jpg
20151214_220424_HDR-1.jpg

micheldied

3 Year Member
Looks like you have no proper vertical hide for the P. irminia. Apart from that, she could be climbing constantly because she doesn't like something in the substrate (maybe too dry/too moist), or she's getting acclimated to the enclosure. The only time I've seen arboreals falls constantly is when they're coming close to a molt, and they can't grip smooth surfaces like glass too easily.

Adrian le Plastrier

3 Year Member
Hey there

Thank you for your reply, I am going to change the tank tomorrow n put a nice long piece of bark for her to hide n play.

I just fed her a mealworm, the first one she missed, but for the 2nd one she was like having open arms waiting for food, like she Was in attack mode. It was so cute.