• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Several Questions Please

Malcspring

Hi folks,
I have a couple of questions regarding my Mexican Red Knee.
Firstly she hasn't molted since July last year.
I bought her as a juvenile in April last year too.
I initially had problems with her enclosure and also the heating of the terrarium, so I replaced both (see pictures). They seem fine now, but I do have a situation with the water that I put in her dish evaporates away within an hour.
I have a halogen heat lamp that keeps the enclosure warm. Do I need a bigger water dish or do I need to make sure it isn't too close to the heat source?
And finally she is looking very ragged. All the hairs have gone from her back end and her legs look really rough.
I've included some photos of her and the enclosure.
I'm feeding her live locusts. I tried crickets, but I stopped using them.

Thanks in advance

Malc
1000003539.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240306_141353317.jpg
    PXL_20240306_141353317.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20240306_141357616.jpg
    PXL_20240306_141357616.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20240306_141403414.jpg
    PXL_20240306_141403414.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 14

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
HI Malc,
Firstly , get rid of that heat lamp, it's the reason her water is evaporating quickly and it will also dehydrate your tarantula. As long as your room is comfortable for you to sit in your T will be fine.
I'm in the UK too and the temperature in my room can get as low as 63F (17C) at night, 75F+ during the day and my Ts do fine.
As for the bald butt, It could be just her kicking hairs as defence but it could also be a sign of an upcoming moult in which case the bald patch will darken just before it happens.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My daughters Brachy is known as Psychob-tch. All it takes is for the International Space Station to pass over & it flicks hair.

As for molts, they can be few & far between with slower growing T's. With a Brachy beyond the Juvi stage hope for an annual molt, but don't be disappointed if she goes longer.

With water, as enn49 has said, ditch the heat lamp. I also find those commercial water bowls are poor at retaining water. So all of my T's have jar, or bottle lids.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looking at the photo of your spider I'd say it looks like a mature male?
That would also explain the bald, ragged appearance.

Latest posts