• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

S.O.S. substrate

Annalisa

Hi,there!
Principessa, my Brachipelma, just molted...She still doesn't come up. While I was observing her during the process I noticed that there are some little white things swarming in the soil.They could be larvas of super small mosquitos.
What should I do about it?Should I worry?
Humidity level is around 80%
HELP!
20230402_204401.jpg

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I cannot see the small white things in the photo, but I strongly suspect they are harmless & helpful springtails.

Springtails are part of the bioactive system for reducing / removing mold in moist environments & they should not be able to survive, or not for very long, in a Brachypelma enclosure, where the substrate should largely be dry. Lightly overflow the water bowl once every 7 to 14 days & allow it to dry out between overflows.
Also regularly move the water bowl, so the substrate totally dries out & thus removes mould problems.

Humidity is a result of husbandry & thus a by-product of the way you look after your tarantula. Brachypelmas are T's that need dry substrate & thus their humidity levels will naturally be lower than a species that needs moist substrate. Don't measure humidity, look after the substrate & the humidity will follow.

Some time ago I put several different hobby thermometers & hygrometer out in my lounge, where I keep my T's & found that both temperature accuracy & moisture accuracy was different across them & by over 10%. So why bother with them, when humidity is something that follows the husbandry?

Annalisa

I cannot see the small white things in the photo, but I strongly suspect they are harmless & helpful springtails.

Springtails are part of the bioactive system for reducing / removing mold in moist environments & they should not be able to survive, or not for very long, in a Brachypelma enclosure, where the substrate should largely be dry. Lightly overflow the water bowl once every 7 to 14 days & allow it to dry out between overflows.
Also regularly move the water bowl, so the substrate totally dries out & thus removes mould problems.

Humidity is a result of husbandry & thus a by-product of the way you look after your tarantula. Brachypelmas are T's that need dry substrate & thus their humidity levels will naturally be lower than a species that needs moist substrate. Don't measure humidity, look after the substrate & the humidity will follow.

Some time ago I put several different hobby thermometers & hygrometer out in my lounge, where I keep my T's & found that both temperature accuracy & moisture accuracy was different across them & by over 10%. So why bother with them, when humidity is something that

Finally clear info I read on other sites that Brachypelmas needed a lit of humidity so I was moisturized maybe too much!
Also these little mosquitos started to appear exactly when the winter was over (even if here in the Netherlands is still very cold).
Your answer was very helpful, thanks a lot

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
I may be mistaken, but you might be describing fungus gnats. They kind of resemble tiny mosquitoes.

The white things in the soil could be their larvae, or spring tails as mentioned, or mites.

80% humidity is pretty high for brachipelma species. My advice would be to keep the water dish full, but let the substrate in the enclosure dry out. This will kill off any of the 3 listed possibilities.
Once the substrate is dry and the white things have vanished you'll have a fresh start point

Annalisa

I may be mistaken, but you might be describing fungus gnats. They kind of resemble tiny mosquitoes.

The white things in the soil could be their larvae, or spring tails as mentioned, or mites.

80% humidity is pretty high for brachipelma species. My advice would be to keep the water dish full, but let the substrate in the enclosure dry out. This will kill off any of the 3 listed possibilities.
Once the substrate is dry and the white things have vanished you'll have a fresh start

Once the substrate is dry and the white things have vanished you'll have a fresh start point
Fungus are exactly one of my billions fears.
I will certainly let dry the substrate. Thanks a lot for your advice

Latest posts