• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Revamped balfouri enclosure

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My M balfouri Maxine was definitely cramped within the enclosure to the point she couldn't dive deep enough to avoid feeding tongs or even really stretch her legs without hanging on the sides.

The conundrum is that she probably isn't quite big enough to rehouse in her forever adult home. Although I'm sure she'd do just fine if I went for it.

The other option was to declutter and simplify the enclosure while improving the hiding place.

I had to be real careful to make sure I wasn't removing the spider in the midst of the chaos. I was much relieved to see her looking out of one of the burrows!!

I figured she'd stay buried for 2 weeks, but no. She's out the next morning after the redecorating that past evening.

The substrate and the tunnel structure was left completely interact and the new hide placed in an undeveloped area. The main bolt hole at the center is between the hide and the water dish.

Why not?

A dry species probably doesn't need all that moss and plastic leaves etc. To make matters worse, that cork balk was foul smelling.

The upper substrate is drying out properly due to direct exposure to air. In fact the entire enclosure almost resembled a stream bath for an hour or two. Now the humidity etc is once again acceptable.

She's getting very bold and this is proof of it, but still quite calm. Already there is some new webbing. I think she has a great ambush location don't you?

Here's 3 pics. Enjoy.

M balfouri Maxine redo 1.jpg
M balfouri Maxine redo 2.jpg
M balfouri Maxine redo 3.jpg

Latest posts