1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rehouse tips??

Discussion in 'Tarantula Enclosures' started by Gage_blevins, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Gage_blevins

Gage_blevins New Member

I have a little h. Mac alittle over an inch now and he lives in a burrow right now. Almost time for him to become arboreal and im just looking for tips on the best way to get him out of the burrow and into his new home safely. They are very fast and i dont want to get bit
  2. Enn49

Enn49 Moderator Staff Member Premium Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

I do all my rehouses inside a large plastic box. It means that I have an extra line of defense if they decide to run. If it's burrowed you may need tweezers or small tongs to ease him and the contents out of its old home, catch cup at the ready. Most Ts don't run far, usually just a quick burst of speed then stopping making them fairly easy to catch. The main thing is to stay calm and move slowly so you don't spook them.
    MassExodus likes this.
  3. MassExodus

MassExodus Well-Known Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

If you have to dig him out do it very, very carefully. Those are the ones that can become a clusterf*#! quickly. As Enn said, the key is to remain calm at all times. Don't let fear of a bite rattle you, remember, it will only hurt like a bastard. No biggy :D
  4. Gage_blevins

Gage_blevins New Member

Im going to let him stay in what he is in for one more molt. He isnt too big yet. Thanks!
  5. fred’s tarantula

fred’s tarantula New Member

if anyone know the recipe for home made anti-grip im trying to find it but no luck.. its a liquide usuely used for ants that keeps them from comming out of there enclosures..
    ilovebrachys likes this.
  6. ilovebrachys

ilovebrachys Well-Known Member

This is a question for fellow members @Dave Jay and @Major 78 as I know they both keep ants so I'm sure they might help?:)
    loganloves likes this.
  7. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member Premium Member 1,000+ Post Club

@fred’s tarantula Vasiline or baby powder/rubbing alcohol will keep ants from Escaping. You should have started your own thread on the topic...
    Paraffin oil I hear works too???
    ilovebrachys likes this.
  8. Stan Schultz

Stan Schultz New Member

Is this leg span (DLS), body length, or something else? Because there is generally a 2:1 difference in size depending on what you're measuring, this can be important, especially at this size.

Heteroscodra maculata (Togo starburst tarantula) is not really a full-blown arboreal tarantula. Many of those kept in captivity seldom or never leave the substrate. Don't be too surprised if your little angel doesn't fit the mold exactly.

Precisely why are you trying to move it to a new home? Is it physically getting too big for its old container? Is its old home getting dirty and needing a cleaning? Or are you merely anticipating a sudden transition to an arboreal lifestyle and trying to "beat it to the punch?" Do you see where I'm going with this?

Dealing with tarantulas with "medically significant" bites is usually no big deal. After all, just how many maculata are kept as pets around the world? And how many people get bit? But still, you don't want to take chances with your little darling both for your sake, the tarantula's sake, and the reputation of the hobby unless you have a defensible reason for doing so.

If its current container is small enough (or its new container large enough) just put the small one in the large one and leave it there. When the tarantula is ready to move it'll do so in the still of the night when it's good and ready. And that arrangement, of course, will give you all sorts of things to talk about when you have visitors.

Cheers,

Seventh Basic Rule of Keeping Tarantulas:

"It ain't dead until it smells dead!"
    -- Anonymous

(The first six are still in development.)

Tortoise Tom Well-Known Member

I love this idea.