• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Red Rump going concerningly bald

Jason

3 Year Member
Hey, I was wondering if I could get some help with my T, I am new to the hobby. Shes an Arizona red rump. Hasnt been interested in food for the last month and shes been slowly loosing all the hair from her rump. Has a nice bald spot. I dont handle her often and shes always been very docile and not a flicker. Ive had her for four months and havent had a molt yet. Is she getting ready to molt? My rosy didnt do this when she molted. I dont see any mites of other bugs in her tank, which btw is 3 gallon glass with pete moss and a house to hide, I mist it once every two weeks. Shes been plenty active, digging and moving around every day. Im having a similar issue with my Payson blonde, just not as much hair lose. Both dont want to eat. Now, I do live in AZ and it is getting hot here, but the house is help at 82 degrees and they arent in direct sunlight. Any ideas? Is this a normal part of molting or do they need special care? Thank you. BTW, sorry the pics suck, if you need better ones let me know and Ill borrow a camera

Attachments

• Snapshot_20130511_5.JPG
    Snapshot_20130511_5.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Snapshot_20130511_4.JPG
    Snapshot_20130511_4.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Snapshot_20130511_3.JPG
    Snapshot_20130511_3.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 25
  • Snapshot_20130511_2.JPG
    Snapshot_20130511_2.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 26

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
going bald is perfectly fine and it sound like premolt since it stop eating. so just be patient and it will molt. to note going bald is not a sign a premolt, but is common thing for species with hairs to kick to happen. some kick very little and don't go bald other kick up when ever the wind changes and are practically hair less.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
your T doesn't appear to be anywhere close to a molt. Her but will darken when a molt nears.
Don't worry about it not eating for a month. She could easily go 6 months without any issues. Just offer her a cricket or roach every couple weeks.

Latest posts