• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Reclassifications

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I’m a little confused (no change there), how can so many of them now simply be classed as Avicularia Avicularia? There are obviously slight differences in them to be classified that way in the first place. So how can they suddenly all be the same spider?

Just remember that morph-type is a more polite way of saying race, which is also the same as subspecies.

It's no different then a blonde and a red head having fertile offspring.

The mischievous question is whether or not in the future any that can have fertile offspring will be listed as races instead of species at a later time?

The classical distinction between race and species is that races can cross with physically normal healthy fertile offspring, such as say a Siamese cat X black shorthair while those in the same genus but different species may cross but the offspring (if any) will be abnormal or sterile, such as a horse and a donkey creating a mule.

This, however, is NOT currently how species are currently described or listed. Bear in mind that ones prestige is much higher when one discovers a new species versus just finding another variation in a species that already exists. This translates into more $$$ and even more land set aside for conservation zones.

Is it just me or do I smell a rat?

To be clear, just as with pure bred dogs and cats, it is enormously important to keep the strains with pure uncontaminated blood lines. While mutts/hybrids can make excellent pets, they are far less valuable and should never be bred.

An ethical seller or distributer of a hybrid will always sell with a no breeding clause in the contract and only at cost not profit, as well as fully and clearly disclosing the lineage or it if it's unknown.

It must also be remembered that tarantulas have enormous numbers of offspring and as with any other living thing, mutations happen. Even a 100% pure animal can deviate from the breed standard just as dogs can. This will be rare in a clutch, usually only 1 or 2 specimens with the rest being normal.

Hybrids can be proven when ALL or most offspring show a mix of traits from more then one race or species.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've been party to these discussions hundreds of times regarding fish, too many times discussing "flowerhorns" "parrots", recognised hybrids that now can be considered man-made species pretty much.
Then all the discussions regarding African Rift Lake hybrids.
So many discussions on the ethics of selling hybids.
Sub species, morphs, localities etc etc...

Last edited:

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Can they please stop with all the re-classing?
Only just starting to learn the scientific names then they change there minds
I wish, but that will likely never happen. Just look at all of the Pamphobeteus and Phormictopus with sp behind the genus. Perhaps one day the tarantula gods will enlighten those who make the reclassification.

AndrewClayton

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Another for the list is Neischnocolus sp. Panama formerly Ami sp. Panama.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just thought this should be In here, the Brachypelma Tliltocatl revision

I'd put up a YouTube video of myself howling in protest but that wouldn't work I'm afraid.

If I was a more wrathful person or had more time on my hands, I'd cross breed one of their new-fangled T whatevers with something still considered a bracky. T (formerly B) vagens can breed successfully with fertile offspring with practically any brachy.

Visions of entomologists assuming the fetal position and whimpering cross through my mind. The only reason I don't is that I couldn't bring myself to euthanize any offspring that couldn't get a new home.

This also shows why we should all know both the scientific name and at least one or two common names for all our tarantulas. For example, everyone knows what a cobalt blue is. The scientific names have been far less stable.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Another for the list is Neischnocolus sp. Panama formerly Ami sp. Panama.

Now, THIS one I did not know about! Lol