• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Really funny story :)

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
I have a big keeper full of dozens of medium crickets that I feed to my fireleg tarantula, pacman frog and chameleon. Funny enough though I guess they aren't my only pets that enjoy an occasional cricket. It's unavoidable that sometimes a cricket or two will get out and end up wandering around the house. I usually get at least one escapee from every batch of crickets and my dog who's still a puppy just nabbed one off the floor! She's a pointer and I guess that's in her hunting blood. :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lots of protein in crickets!

I have to keep my crickets up on a shelf because my cat will eat them. One day I came home to find the container knocked over and a bunch of half munched crickets lying on the floor.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My cats love T feeding nights as I always drop a few and they spend the rest of the evening hunting them down

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I used to keep Triops (tadpole shrimp). I kept them in small plastic food containers filled with distilled water and they had a lifespan of only a few months. One day I left for 5 minutes to get a drink and when I came back all I found was pieces of them all over the shelf. Needles to say I was pretty upset with kitty.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When I had a lot of snakes I used to count out all the different sizes of food for the ones to feed that night and leave them on the worktop to thaw. Come feed time I'd begin with the smaller ones and realise I must have miscounted the pinkie mice or rat pups I needed. It was only after it happened a few times that I caught one of the cats chomping happily. She only ever stole the small ones, never the big stuff.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
I used to keep Triops (tadpole shrimp). I kept them in small plastic food containers filled with distilled water and they had a lifespan of only a few months. One day I left for 5 minutes to get a drink and when I came back all I found was pieces of them all over the shelf. Needles to say I was pretty upset with kitty.

Bring home a python. Your cat will be really happy if it's food escapes. :)

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
When I had a lot of snakes I used to count out all the different sizes of food for the ones to feed that night and leave them on the worktop to thaw. Come feed time I'd begin with the smaller ones and realise I must have miscounted the pinkie mice or rat pups I needed. It was only after it happened a few times that I caught one of the cats chomping happily. She only ever stole the small ones, never the big stuff.

Sounds like my mom's friends cat who has a twisted sense of humor. This feline would always leave severed mouse heads in her shoes as a present. Very dark but strangely warm hearted on the cat's behalf.