• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

RARE!? xenesthis sp. megascopula

Derrick

3 Year Member
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I got this T as a juvenile from a friend said its a really rare genus. I know it's in the xenesthis genus, I know she's a female and the only female she looks like is the xenesthis sp. megascopula... I need more of an expert in arachnid research as me to confirm this... If so once she matures I'm up for breeding or looking for a male.. PLEASE let me know I think I hit the jackpot lol.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Awesome. Although, anything labeled as Genus sp. somename (i.e Xenesthis sp. megascopula, or Aphonopelma sp. carlsbad green, and so on) should not be bred until properly identified to a species. The sp. denotes the animal is not yet identified to the species and is therefore unknown. You may have to hold off your breeding plans for a while.

Derrick

3 Year Member
Oh no worries was just waiting until fully matured. I do know she is a girl, but didn't know the exact xenesthis genus she is. I will be saying she will be up for breeding once matured, and I just wanted to know the estimated price of this species of this size. I have someone interested.... I don't really want to let her go just did t know how much they can be worth.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Prices are all over the place on that one, but it looks like you can get at least $300 for yours.
Xenesthis is the Genus.
Classification is like this:
Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Family
Genus
Species

Species names are listed as, Genus species. So, Grammostola pulchra, Grammostola is the genus, and pulchra is the species.
Xenesthis sp. megascopula means you have a tarantula in the Xenesthis genus, but the the species (sp. megascopula) is as yet unknown.
She is a beauty though, wait until she molts and her colors will really pop.

Derrick

3 Year Member
Prices are all over the place on that one, but it looks like you can get at least $300 for yours.
Xenesthis is the Genus.
Classification is like this:
Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Family
Genus
Species

Species names are listed as, Genus species. So, Grammostola pulchra, Grammostola is the genus, and pulchra is the species.
Xenesthis sp. megascopula means you have a tarantula in the Xenesthis genus, but the the species (sp. megascopula) is as yet unknown.
She is a beauty though, wait until she molts and her colors will really pop.
Do you have any xenesthis in your collection or know a good place to buy this genus?

micheldied

3 Year Member

Derrick

3 Year Member
We both did I got her on sale for 175$ he said she's a pink bloom I just searched for the genus and species and did t find the name

Last edited:

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Common names are useless. Must insist on proper scientific name when buying.
I don't have any Xen. I am getting a P nigricolor next week. Ken, Jamie, Anastasia, Swift, all usually have some

Derrick

3 Year Member
Thank you mass Here in a few weeks getting a camaroon red baboon, striped knee T, rear horn baboon, feather leg baboon, OBT, poecilotheria ornata, few freebie slings, also two 4" female Ts I think you all will love! Monocentropus Balfouri and a poecilotheria Metallica plus a female OBT other is male. All prett much adults for about 780$ Which to that's an amazing deal yeeee! I just need to find a male p plattyomma... Really difficult...

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you mass Here in a few weeks getting a camaroon red baboon, striped knee T, rear horn baboon, feather leg baboon, OBT, poecilotheria ornata, few freebie slings, also two 4" female Ts I think you all will love! Monocentropus Balfouri and a poecilotheria Metallica plus a female OBT other is male. All prett much adults for about 780$ Which to that's an amazing deal yeeee! I just need to find a male p plattyomma... Really difficult...
That's a massive order of spiders, congrats on that :)

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got the option to buy a female Pmet but I opted to buy the sling instead, I don't know if I made the right choice but I kind of like to raise them up from slings.

Pretty good haul you got there @Derrick Am so green with envy. ;)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got the option to buy a female Pmet but I opted to buy the sling instead, I don't know if I made the right choice but I kind of like to raise them up from slings.

Pretty good haul you got there @Derrick Am so green with envy. ;)
I'd say it's the right choice. Slings you get to experience and enjoy longer ;) Plus if you haven't had a Pokie before they say it's best to start with a sling.

Latest posts