• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rare Tarantulas - Prices

TheGreatWhiteKoos

3 Year Member
Morning everyone.

So I went to the expo this weekend and had a ball of a time. Saw a lot of T's there but one caught my eye...A Pelinobius Muticus (King Baboon) breeding pair. Absolutely gorgeous! Then I had a look at the price: for the breeding pair plus an enclosure......R10,000.00 which is about $1,100.00

I know these T's are rare and a great addition to any collection but I think the price is a bit steep...way too much! o.5 inch slings were also available for R750.00 ($85.00).

Any opinions on these prices guys & girls?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a bunch of Kings. Max I would pay for a breeding pair (assuming the female was 8"+) is about $300. I typically sell 6" females for $150 and slings for about $35.

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
you have to keep in mind that price is dependent on location and how much of a hobby is their. some species in the European hobby are cheaper over their, but when looking at the USA hobby they are much more expansive and vice versa. what get me is you live on the continent were they are found and they are charging that much for them. I realize their are law about obtaining wild species, but I figure in Africa Pelinobius Muticus would be dirt cheap.

TheGreatWhiteKoos

3 Year Member
Very true spiderengineer on all counts...at this moment it might be more readily available in the US or UK than in South Africa. Best solution would be to get a couple of breeding programmes going...The more breeders the higher the availability and the cheaper the prices.

Latest posts