• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Random

rénee

3 Year Member
Its friday, I'm bored, i have no plans. SO, what kind of interesting, cool facts do people know, about any kind of Tarantulas, or even scorpions, since i have both. :)

I could google stuff, but hey i like to hear it from people on here, cause heck a lot of you know a lot ;)

tarantulaguy1994

3 Year Member
I is not a tarantula but it is a genus of spider. Argiope of different species have 3 ways they mate. The first simply goes into the hub of the web. Then the second makes a mating thread from the females web to a nearby branch. If she tries to eat him he will cut the web and make his get away. The last only on species does , I can not recall the species name. But what they do is cut a hole in the hub of the females web then insert the mating thread. All three male also do an act called tarsal rubbing.The tarsi are ites of sense organ. Spider will also rub the with there chelicerae. Is this giving them some kind of pleasure. Is that why the male will rub them with their legs before trying to mate?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here's a cool fact. I've made it a habit to study black widow behavior in my area : I have yet to run across an aggressive one. They run, hide, or just become completely still when humans are around. They have a feeding response in their web, but otherwise are completely docile, in my experience. All spiders are individuals of course, but I've yet to see one act either defensive or aggressive, and I have seen a bunch.

rénee

3 Year Member
That is interesting tarantula guy, so what exactly makes the female want to eat him or i guess not want to mate with a certain male?

That is also interesting Mass, because my impression and as many others would be that black widows are known to be pretty venomous, and are just know to be "scary, and dangerous" i think they are very beautiful looking creatures, but yes my first impression would be to scream hahah.

khatchet

3 Year Member
This is tarantulaguy I remembered the bass word for my old account. Unfortunately though there are not many studies done on spider and as far as I know they are not sure what makes them decline mates and mate with others.

rénee

3 Year Member
interesting! i know with different animal species it can have anything to do with size, colour, some have to do dances to impress and all this shenanigans, it probably varies from species of tarantulas also I'm sure :)

khatchet

3 Year Member
That is what I would think, it is just not for sure as off yet, not for all spider any way there is on I know of that is color and its dance Maratus volans( the pea**** jumping spider).

khatchet

3 Year Member
It is all though most think that its wired mating dance is why it is so endangered though. All the male gather any display them self in the open at on time. Makes it very easy for it to become prey.

TabithasMom

3 Year Member
Here's a cool fact. I've made it a habit to study black widow behavior in my area : I have yet to run across an aggressive one. They run, hide, or just become completely still when humans are around. They have a feeding response in their web, but otherwise are completely docile, in my experience. All spiders are individuals of course, but I've yet to see one act either defensive or aggressive, and I have seen a bunch.
I almost purchased a black widow, but like a good mom, I did a lot of research beforehand. I came across one blog/page/site that sealed the deal, and I decided to save my money. It was just an off-the-wall suggestion from Google, chronologically following the rescue, and rearing of a widow. The ultimate demise of the poor spider taught me I can have just as much enjoyment performing in pseudo-spider-husbandry with all my garden spiders, than spend money on this species. How tough can a spider be if a cricket can destroy it? The spider allowed it to eat it alive, without much of a fight. There were a few other sites that supported this blog, and the behaviors it reported. In any case, it confirmed I'd rather own large fuzzy Ts, with the inclusion of my D. tenebrosus, because she's just fascinating.

khatchet

3 Year Member
If you wanted something like that I would suggest a Latrodectus geometricus the brown widow, I have hatched egg sacs of them to release into the will before. They are not as timid of human as Latrodectus mactans the black widow.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My 3yo son calls spiders he sees around the house "my friends" and he's the reason why I get to own Ts in the first place. Where he got these all from? YouTube. :rolleyes: