• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Questions about feeder insects

Kevin Levites

3 Year Member
Hi guys.

I'd like some input on specific feeder insects.

I've always used crickets in the past, but I'd like to diversify with my next tarantulas. It does seem that certain feeder ****roaches are illegal here in Florida (invasive species issues). Which roaches can't climb up smooth glass, are hardy, and legal in Florida? Can I gut load roaches with spirullina? Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Spirulina has an anticoagulant effect, doesn't sound like something I would feed my spider. It would probably rupture and bleed out on its first molt with it in its system. There's a whole list of side effects and contaminates that don't sound that great for a spider. The major one I found said that you should discuss with your Dr before taking this supplement. Red flag.

Why not just feed your feeders normal fruits and vegetables. The wheels not broke so theres no need to fix it.

Vermis

Tarantula Club Member
Buh!?

Well I splurged on a bottle of spirulina tablets and used half a one on roach chow already. I don't doubt that there are plenty of claims that spirulina is an anticoagulant, in the way homeopathists might claim that the vibrations are totally copied over to plain water, so I took a look for some research papers to see what this is about.

First study I found discovered no significant reduction in human blood coagulation, in platelet activity, fibrinogens, etc. Another found that a concentrated polysaccharide from bluegreen algae slightly reduced thrombin levels. Now, it took a fair bit of trying different search terms to find one small aside that prothrombin molecules have been found in insect cells, that it's not just a mammalian thing.

Now colour me skeptical, but from the start I was educated that falls, pointy things etc. weren't good for tarantulas because their haemolymph didn't clot, period. We can assume they don't have human platelets, and may not have significant levels of their version of thrombin, if they have it at all, floating about in there. If potential blood anticoagulants in spirulina have a much more drastic effect on arachnid physiology than human, then... what coagulant are they working against? Is there much thrombin in a tarantula's cuticle? Genuine question: I don't know. Or any other exoskeleton-forming enzyme that would cause a spider to spontaneously explode if it ate a roach given algae vitamins?
And what about all the roaches that are fed spirulina, and then have to moult?

I see spirulina in feeder roach chow recipes all the time. I get the feeling these roaches are fed to more leopard geckos than tarantulas, though in that case, given the spirulina anticoagulant claims are applied more to vertebrate circulatory systems, are those many captive lizards at risk too? Anyway, I agree that a lot of 'superfood' additives come across a bit overkill, in roach and human diets, but such an extreme danger...?
I mean, they also say you should consult a doctor before you exercise more and eat a more healthy diet in general, so... shrug.

It would probably rupture and bleed out on its first molt with it in its system.

@Kevin Levites - regarding species of roaches, best I can do is point you at Roach Crossing's extensive Florida-legal list.

https://www.roachcrossing.com/category/for-sale/****roaches/roach-type/florida-legal/

(German ****roaches are legal in Florida? Blimey)

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Kevin,
Dubia roaches can't climb anything sleek. I have my colony in a home depot storage bin and it works like a charm.
They'll eat pretty much anything (dinner rest, old fruits and vegetables....). I also offer, in addition to the "fresh" food, Josh's frogs roach ration that you can get directly from amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZH5FFU/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 )
Hope this helps, cheers.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use superworms, although not as much as before. They have less nutrients than other feeders but make a good post molt meal.

Vermis

Tarantula Club Member
(Addendum: if it helps, my orange head roaches completely ignored the food I sprinkled spirulina into, though that might have been more due to the lo-pro rabbit nuggets in it. My red heads loved it.)

I had a look down Roach Crossing's Florida list myself and, man, the non-climbing options are pretty limited. If it were me I'd go for Blatta orientalis or one of the Parcoblattas, some vaseline, and a good lid.

I don't know if it helps, but I read the Invertebrate Dude blog and it makes me kinda wish we had Parcoblatta in culture over here. One man's trash, and all that!

Lastly, I keep giant spiders, I keep giant roaches, but silkmoths creep me right out. Someone else will have to answer that. :D

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
I'm currently maintaining 2 colonies of Dubia with decent success. For me , they seem to be somewhat picky eaters with their biggest likings to be to oranges and chic feed. At some point I may switch to a commercially available gut load but this seems to be working fine and they are reproducing. I have yet to get them to eat anything leafy.....

I also feed crickets, red runners, and horned worms with crickets being my secondary staple.

Latest posts