• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question of senses

Isaac.Loure

My girlfriend and I fed our Theraphosa blondi, and medium mouse (frozen store bought) and after thawing in warm water, she took the mouse bit it, then dropped it. Confused we warmed it further and the ate it quickly the second time. The question is thus, she thinks that since the organs were exposed (from the first bite.) That they enticed her, and I think its solely due to temperature that she refused then accepted. Any thoughts?

nedaK

My girlfriend and I fed our Theraphosa blondi, and medium mouse (frozen store bought) and after thawing in warm water, she took the mouse bit it, then dropped it. Confused we warmed it further and the ate it quickly the second time. The question is thus, she thinks that since the organs were exposed (from the first bite.) That they enticed her, and I think its solely due to temperature that she refused then accepted. Any thoughts?
What @Enn49 said but I do have a question of my own for you. Do you only feed it mice? Because I heard that vertebrates have an unhealthy amount of calcium in them for tarantulas if they are abused as feeders.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My stirmi dont drop anything...never experienced that. Maybe it was still frozen on the inside a little?
What @Enn49 said but I do have a question of my own for you. Do you only feed it mice? Because I heard that vertebrates have an unhealthy amount of calcium in them for tarantulas if they are abused as feeders.
Not true...its a hobby myth. http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/CalciumMoltMyth.html
I feed my stirmis mice all the time. They tend not to chase small prey once they get over 10". A 11" stirmi would need 12-15 crickets per feeding. One mouse or 2 hissers is a way better meal.
IMG-20180609-WA0000.jpg

nedaK

Latest posts