• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about Mexican Fireleg

Lisa Lockwood

3 Year Member
I have a Mexican Fireleg female about 4 years old. A couple of weeks ago I saw some fuzzy "balls" on her abdomen. There are more now and she is losing her hair where they are. At first I thought it might be webbing or substrate (I use coconut). But now I am worried she may have something wrong. I am attaching some photos so you can see what is happening. The cage is not moist so I doubt it would be fungus. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Attachments

• photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 38
  • photo(3).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 39

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They're loose urticating hairs,she's just kicking. It means that she's a bit stressed out. If you handle her, I would refrain.
Firelegs are very skittish and easily bothered. If you don't you may want to put her somewhere with less foot traffic.

Lisa Lockwood

3 Year Member
I was hoping that was all it was I did make one recent change in her enclosure I live in California and it is summer so I removed the heat pad and light because it was too hot and replaced it with a white light. One of the sites I was looking on says that tarantulas don't like bright light. Could that be stressing her out? And what would you recommend?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantulas don't need any additional heat. If you're comfortable, they are too. Tarantulas do not like light. I would get the light off her immediately. However, It's unlikely that she's kicking because of the light. They usually kick at a physical threat.