1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about importing spiders

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by jay17, Oct 4, 2018.

1. jay17

jay17 Member

Hi all,

So I'm considering going to Florida later this year and part of the reason is to study wild Phidippus as part of my animal behaviour dissertation. What is the process for potentially bringing wild caught spiders back to the UK? I tried looking it up but I found conflicting information, some sites saying there are no restrictions and others saying I need to apply for a license.

Thank you for any advice!
    Jay
  2. MassExodus

MassExodus Well-Known Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

You got me curious, so I went looking. I see where your confusion comes from..
    Personally, I'd put a few phiddipus in an empty shaving kit bag, or in my pocket, and just carry them on the plane. But I have little respect for silly laws and rules, you may not want to listen to me..
  3. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Well-Known Member

@Austin S. @Thistles or maybe even @KezyGLA would be able to assist you. Laws here in the states are pretty strict when it comes to importing/exporting in the US.
  4. Metalman2004

Metalman2004 Well-Known Member

This’ll be interesting. I’ve seen plenty of “US import” conversations, but no export conversations...
    MassExodus likes this.
  5. Austin S.

Austin S. Well-Known Member

You cannot bring them with you via airplane without proper documentation. You will need to contact USFW in Miami, FL for more details.
    Ask for Ryan Rodriquez - Off : 305-885-5244
    You will also need a specific permit, from your government officials.
    I am sure if you tell Miami exactly what you are wanting to do, they will direct you either where to go, or directly what to do.

Let me know if you have any questions.