• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about importing spiders

jay17

3 Year Member
Hi all,

So I'm considering going to Florida later this year and part of the reason is to study wild Phidippus as part of my animal behaviour dissertation. What is the process for potentially bringing wild caught spiders back to the UK? I tried looking it up but I found conflicting information, some sites saying there are no restrictions and others saying I need to apply for a license.

Thank you for any advice!
Jay

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You got me curious, so I went looking. I see where your confusion comes from..
Personally, I'd put a few phiddipus in an empty shaving kit bag, or in my pocket, and just carry them on the plane. But I have little respect for silly laws and rules, you may not want to listen to me..

Austin S.

3 Year Member
You cannot bring them with you via airplane without proper documentation. You will need to contact USFW in Miami, FL for more details.
Ask for Ryan Rodriquez - Off : 305-885-5244
You will also need a specific permit, from your government officials.
I am sure if you tell Miami exactly what you are wanting to do, they will direct you either where to go, or directly what to do.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You got me curious, so I went looking. I see where your confusion comes from..
Personally, I'd put a few phiddipus in an empty shaving kit bag, or in my pocket, and just carry them on the plane. But I have little respect for silly laws and rules, you may not want to listen to me..

This is why I love you:p.....Bonnie and Clyde.....:D

I shall plea the 5th in EVERYTHING! ;)

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Did someone request Bonnie and Clyde? These are my 2 P vittata slings, a suspect male and female. I got these in a trade for my MM H pulchripes just before the ban with only a week or two to spare!!

P vittata Bonnie chills 7.jpg

Here's Bonnie.

P vittata Clyde out at last 2.jpg

This is Clyde. He's especially difficult to catch on film because he's much more reclusive and a bit more photo sensitive. They have totally different personalities.

Clyde, however, does specialize in catching roaches and crickets in mid air as I drop them in &I have no idea which direction he comes from.

Thank the Gods and Goddesses that he always returns home!! This happens no matter how little I slide the lid open. He's way faster then my neural processes can keep up with.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Did someone request Bonnie and Clyde? These are my 2 P vittata slings, a suspect male and female. I got these in a trade for my MM H pulchripes just before the ban with only a week or two to spare!!

View attachment 34342

Here's Bonnie.

View attachment 34343

This is Clyde. He's especially difficult to catch on film because he's much more reclusive and a bit more photo sensitive. They have totally different personalities.

Clyde, however, does specialize in catching roaches and crickets in mid air as I drop them in &I have no idea which direction he comes from.

Thank the Gods and Goddesses that he always returns home!! This happens no matter how little I slide the lid open. He's way faster then my neural processes can keep up with.

Beautiful spiders! Thanks for sharing! :) Can't wait to import again this year.... ;)

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Are customs tough in the UK?? If not, I would just pack your species as you would to send by post, and put it in your carry on bag. It is worth asking the question to a knowledgeable source, but I bet that the carry on bag scanner would not pick it up here in the States.

Latest posts