• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Premotl question

Christell Erasmus

3 Year Member
Hi there

Can anyone please tell me if my little Brachypelma Boehmei is in premolt? She hasn't eaten in two weeks. I am worried because she is the smallest tarantula I have ever owned and if my other Brachypelmas as ferocious eaters.
Premolt question.jpg

Sabeth

3 Year Member
I'd say she is. When my slings were that little they usually went about 2 weeks without eating during premolt, and they molted every month!

Spidershed

3 Year Member
I would say no it isnt in premoult. I have 33 of these, bought as 0.5cm slings which are now around 1/2 inch and they get fed once a month.
They was last fed on 17th Feb but when i went to feed them a few days ago they was all in premoult so I'll feed them next month if they have moulted by then (if not it will be the month after).
For that size sling to be in premoult the abdomen would need to be much fuller and more shiny.
The substrate does look very wet though, maybe that is what is why it is not feeding ?

Spidershed

3 Year Member
This is a B emilia sling of about 3/4inch in premoult.
Apart from the dark colouration under the skin of the abdomen where the new hairs are growing, the abdomen is very shiny, this to me is more of an indication that it is about to moult.
(bad picture taken with iphone and enlarged)