• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

pre molt behavior?

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
will a T kink its joints funny BEFORE a molt? I know they do after... I have been waiting for my B. smithi to molt because her rump had the black spot going on and she stays inside a cork log like all the time so I figured if she had molted that I would have found the exo but she is kinking her joints and the black spot isn't as noticeable so I don't know if she molted and I cant find the exo or whats going on... I know she would look really nice and fresh but she never really looked dull and crappy so idk...

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
she has a big fat abdomen and was eating like a champ up until like two or three weeks ago and has a water dish... I checked to make sure her fangs were black and offered food today and she turned it down... I would post a pic but she is hiding now...

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
not like seriously kinked or anything she just isn't holding them straight sometimes lol...I am pretty sure she hasn't molted yet.... the reason I am not sure is because when I got my shipment of T's like a week ago I got a 2" b. smithi that is starting to show adult color and after seeing that one and going to look at my other older one she looked so beautiful compared to the younger one that I thought she may have molted but unless she is really good at hiding the exo I would have found it...

Thistles

3 Year Member
A smithi can be in premolt for a long time, like over a month at that size no problem. Their color isn't as intense when they're very young, so don't compare her to the littler one.

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
i don't think it has molted... there is no way it could have hidden the molt because it spends all its time in its cork log and I can see right into it thru both ways... it only knows I can see thru the one way because I have a piece of paper taped to the glass on the back side so it feels very comfortable in there and I only check the deepest part once in a great while. it never really had a bald spot it just has a spot that is blacker than the rest of its abdomen... do they make a web bed every time they molt?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i don't think it has molted... there is no way it could have hidden the molt because it spends all its time in its cork log and I can see right into it thru both ways... it only knows I can see thru the one way because I have a piece of paper taped to the glass on the back side so it feels very comfortable in there and I only check the deepest part once in a great while. it never really had a bald spot it just has a spot that is blacker than the rest of its abdomen... do they make a web bed every time they molt?

If it had molted, it would not only look bigger and have a smaller abdomen now, but the colors would be much more vibrant, the legs would be an almost semi-transparent (or opaque) look at that size, and the fangs would be white. Brachypelmas don't really spin 'webs" when they molt, it's just a small mat of silk on the substrate that they molt on top of.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here's some images of some of my freshly molted looks like:

amazonica molt.jpg

smithi molt.jpg

smithi molt 2.jpg

s cal molt.jpg

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
thanks chubbs... do they always get a bald spot? mine hasn't yet... do you have any pics of a b. smithi in heavy pre molt

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
thanks chubbs... do they always get a bald spot? mine hasn't yet... do you have any pics of a b. smithi in heavy pre molt

The bald spot is just from kicking urticating hairs. That's not an indication of premolt. If the bald spot turns dark then that is often a good indication, but the presence of a bald spot does not necessarily mean premolt.

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
my B. smithi molted today (last night) I didn't get to see it which sucks but she is looking all pretty today :) now I have to wait for her to push the exo out of her cork bark log or at least to the point where I can reach it with tongs... then I can sex it hopefully and confirm her female! anybody have a link to somewhere I can see what I would be looking for on this molt? like pics of an actual B. smithi molt?

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
will they usually push it out of their hide? without mangling it? or should I wait a day or two so I don't bother her and then try and fish it out if she hasn't pushed it out yet?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
will they usually push it out of their hide? without mangling it? or should I wait a day or two so I don't bother her and then try and fish it out if she hasn't pushed it out yet?
Some will, some won't. Depends on the individual.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just refer to the sticky in this discussion. Very good photos of how to sex an exo. :)

Latest posts