• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Poecilotheria ornata breeding

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Successful double clutch sack. 96 eggs with legs at 28 days.
20191123_120019.jpg
20191123_121251.jpg
20191123_121730.jpg
20190407_193049.jpg
20190627_161849.jpg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ornata communal!!!...because I can. :D
Started out with 10 from my 2nd clutch in one 32oz enclosure. About a month in I split them. They were growing way faster then the separated slings. Plus the poo all over the container made it a nasty mess. I only found 9 though...not sure if one was eaten or molting issues. I separated 4 in one group and 5 in the other. A month or so later the group with 4 had a dead one on the ground being eaten by a roach...the reason is unknown. The group of 5 turned out to have 4 females so...I decided to save some ladies out of the experiment. I kept two ladies together and added 3 males to them. Let's see how they do...
20200501_165248.jpg

Noticable difference from communal ornatas and separated ones....
Separated ornatas attack their prey at full speed...extremely violent.
Communal ornatas touch their prey before attacking.
Separated ornatas are very skittish and quick to hide.
Communal ornatas seam more laid back and docile.
Communal ornatas grow way faster...many are as big as the first clutch of slings.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Great information and very interesting behaviors. I would like to try something like this as well! It seems when they live in a group they have a positive identification of the pray. Very cool! :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Great information and very interesting behaviors. I would like to try something like this as well! It seems when they live in a group they have a positive identification of the pray. Very cool! :)
We'll see what happens. I still may end up with one big spider. :T: