• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Plesiopelma longisternale

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I thought I'd do a progress report on my little Plesiopelma longisternale, Toba, to help anyone that should be lucky enough to find one for sale (it took me 4 years).

Toba arrived on 23/04/2019, a 4th instar at around 0.5" dls
dscf9396-2-jpg.36697

I'm keeping it on dry coco fibre substrate in a 3" cube container with a small piece of cork bark, piece of plastic plant and a water bowl. So far it seems perfectly happy with this set up. It has dug down to the bottom in one corner but is rarely hidden from view, often found sitting on top of the cork or up amongst the leaves of the plant, even sometimes up the side of the container although it will make its way into the hole it has dug when disturbed It has been feeding well on small crickets.

DSCF9486.JPG

Toba seems quite calm so far.
Now I just have to wait for its first moult with me.

Tnoob

I thought I'd do a progress report on my little Plesiopelma longisternale, Toba, to help anyone that should be lucky enough to find one for sale (it took me 4 years).

Toba arrived on 23/04/2019, a 4th instar at around 0.5" dls
dscf9396-2-jpg.36697

I'm keeping it on dry coco fibre substrate in a 3" cube container with a small piece of cork bark, piece of plastic plant and a water bowl. So far it seems perfectly happy with this set up. It has dug down to the bottom in one corner but is rarely hidden from view, often found sitting on top of the cork or up amongst the leaves of the plant, even sometimes up the side of the container although it will make its way into the hole it has dug when disturbed It has been feeding well on small crickets.

View attachment 36994

Toba seems quite calm so far.
Now I just have to wait for its first moult with me.
Nice catch

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I did look after and realised this was the species we were talking about the other week . Attempted to delete my post but got distracted and it didn't complete. Like the update thou. Good reference if I'm ever able to get hold of one or 4

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Toba has been here almost 4 weeks now and has made its container home. It has dug down to the bottom in one corner, not a burrow just a big hollow and some of the substrate has been piled at the bottom of the plant and of course some in the water bowl. It has also webbed amongst the leaves of the plant, up the sides of the container and over the water bowl. Toba seems to be very active even during the day, often right up the sides of the container and regularly sitting on top of the leaves. When I move the container it will head for its hollow but at a sedate walk, no panic and sit on the edge watching.

DSCF9582.JPG

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Toba has been here almost 4 weeks now and has made its container home. It has dug down to the bottom in one corner, not a burrow just a big hollow and some of the substrate has been piled at the bottom of the plant and of course some in the water bowl. It has also webbed amongst the leaves of the plant, up the sides of the container and over the water bowl. Toba seems to be very active even during the day, often right up the sides of the container and regularly sitting on top of the leaves. When I move the container it will head for its hollow but at a sedate walk, no panic and sit on the edge watching.

View attachment 37397
Enn...how can you still be naming each of your spiders? Don't you have like 500 now? I can't remember what I ate for lunch yesterday..

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@MassExodus I still haven't made the 100 yet, every time I think I've made it I lose an MM or 2. :). Names are easy, lunch yesterday not so easy :rolleyes:.
That's not too bad. When there are a bunch it can be a chore taking care of them, especially if you have multiple hobbies. Or, possibly, I'm just lazy. Probably that. That's why I have five now. And some poecis, later. Just a few breeding pairs though. Anyway, got any new spp. coming soon? :D

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I had forgotten about this thread, so I apologise that it hasn't been updated.

Toba has given very little trouble in the 2 years since I got it. I've kept it much the same as a Brachypelma, dry substrate and just overflowing the water bowl now and again. It has remained a great feeder, even eating almost right up to a moult. It has only moulted 4 times in the 2 years and is now just over 1" dls.

Toba moulted yesterday and this is the best photo I've managed to get so far.
DSCF4815 (3).JPG

Latest posts