• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Plants

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
Hi guys.
Earlier online I saw a lovely red knee tank that had a cactus in it. It looked stunning. Was thinking about doing something like that, but worried if spider climbed then fell on it. I know out in wild theres twigs and plants and things they could hurt themselves on. What are your views, would you do it or recommend? Maybe i could get a fake rubber cactus??

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi guys.
Earlier online I saw a lovely red knee tank that had a cactus in it. It looked stunning. Was thinking about doing something like that, but worried if spider climbed then fell on it. I know out in wild theres twigs and plants and things they could hurt themselves on. What are your views, would you do it or recommend? Maybe i could get a fake rubber cactus??
Fake plants are the way to go. I have succumbed to introducing live plants to my T enclosures. They look great but add a ton of maintenance and not worth it (at least to me) in the end. Going back to artificials. If you do decide on live, the T's are fine with lights as long as they have a good hide to keep them out of the light when they choose to. Lots of debates on lighting but I prefer them. I believe the biological clock is important to all creatures and lighting is one of the key triggers. All of mine are on timers.

Poec54

3 Year Member
No spiny plants! Tarantulas have soft abdomens. The cage/terrarium is for the tarantula, and some people get carried away and forget that.

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
Fake plants are the way to go. I have succumbed to introducing live plants to my T enclosures. They look great but add a ton of maintenance and not worth it (at least to me) in the end. Going back to artificials. If you do decide on live, the T's are fine with lights as long as they have a good hide to keep them out of the light when they choose to. Lots of debates on lighting but I prefer them. I believe the biological clock is important to all creatures and lighting is one of the key triggers. All of mine are on timers.
Ive found light doesn't seem to bother mine either. Ive noticed when i switch my desk lamp on thats near one of the tanks, my t walks over to that side of tank. I too believe they need to know diff between night and day and the seasons :)

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No spiny plants! Tarantulas have soft abdomens. The cage/terrarium is for the tarantula, and some people get carried away and forget that.
Oops. I forgot to answer the major question here!. Agree with Poec54 100% on that front.