• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pcam habitat

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got a Pcam as a freebie on my spider order and wasn't expecting it and not really prepared (habitat wise) for one.

I put him (1" sling) in the Avic enclosure I had on the shelf for when one of mine or grow their current.

Will that work for the Pcam? Anything special I need to know about these outside of the basic care sheet info?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got a Pcam as a freebie on my spider order and wasn't expecting it and not really prepared (habitat wise) for one.

I put him (1" sling) in the Avic enclosure I had on the shelf for when one of mine or grow their current.

Will that work for the Pcam? Anything special I need to know about these outside of the basic care sheet info?
Not really. Care for most arboreals is pretty straightforward. The only ones that really make any special requirements would be Avics. All arboreals should be given adequate cross-ventilation, but Avics require a bit more and do better on dry substrate. Care for Psalmopoeus is pretty much the same as care for Poecilotheria, as well as a number of other arboreals. These can tolerate moisture/humidity much better than Avics, so I tend to keep my enclosures a bit on the moist side, but I always allow them to dry out in between. Behavior-wise, Psalmopoeus species tend to be a lot more defensive and are much bolder and quick to bite than pokies. P.cambridgei is more mellow than the others though, and also tends to stay out in the open a lot more. Slings will hide a lot, but once they get around 2-3 inches they are out and about more often. They have really incredible feeding responses as well, so definitely watch your fingers. I've actually had a few run up the tongs before.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Chubbs about covered it. I want to add one thing. I've got all kinds of tarantulas, but P campbridgei take the cake when it comes to running away and spazzing out as slings. All three of mine had to be recaptured with either a cup or my hand during unpacking and rehousing. They aren't terribly fast at one inch, but fast enough, and they're persistent.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Minx, one of my Pcam, throws threat postures then runs around its enclosure like it was a vertical race track,
I feed it first now, then do maintenance while it's busy :p Adorable though, cant wait for it to get some size on it, molted but still really small.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks guys, we watched it chase a pinhead roach last night. That was quite a sight lol. They are viscious eaters. We found out how fast they are already. When we pulled the top tissue cap off the vial it was up and out and 3 ft away on the desk in a flash. My son cupped it when it stopped, then we let it out in it's new home. So far it's been hiding in the crook between the bark and the substrate.

I've got it on dry sub with a dish and been misting regularly so i'm thinking that should be fine until it's time to rehouse, then i'll moisten the sub add the dish and mist as needed.

Latest posts