• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

PanzoN88's eight legged pack

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
G. pulchripes AKA molt Mauler, yes it did it again the last time it molted. I am leaning towards it being male however.

20200715_192425.jpg
20200715_192501.jpg

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They are pretty interesting. I don't get how some can confuse them with A. chalcodes, they look nothing alike. I think I may look into buying more from the same seller.

Nope....and they have a greenish colored triangle on their carapace. :)

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It has been a minute since I’ve posted in this thread. I was watering the tarantulas and my Euathlus metropolitana (former Phrixotrichus scrofa) was in excellent position for a picture. It’s a shame that these are so rare nowadays. They are jaw dropping.

D3871246-5FE2-4D8F-B2DC-77F2EF2E1470.jpeg

Now, I’ll get the difficult part out of the way about my collection over the past couple of years.

November of 2019, I went out of town for vacation, left the heat on for the tarantulas as that’s what I do when I leave for any extended period of time in the fall/winter months. That week I knew it was going to be cold, but didn’t think anything of it, but I came home to all of the kitchen appliances blinking, well it turns out the neighborhood was without power for a few days. The temperatures were much colder than normal for that time of year. Those are the types of temperatures that can cause issues. Well the power was out long enough that it did cause a large die off of my collection, which was very disheartening. Next fast forward to I want to say the first few months of January my T. schroederi had a bad molt, that loss really had me considering getting out of the hobby altogether, but when we were all sheltering in place, I needed something to occupy myself, which led me to rediscover why I loved the hobby in the first place. I have lost mature males that I was on the fence about when it came to breeding them, which was noermal. The only loss for this year was my monster A. geniculata, but I figured that was coming soon, as she was already a decent size when I got her in 2016.

On the bright side, I’m building back up and nothing will stop me this time.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sorry to hear of the loss. That would've been devastating to any collector/keeper.

Insulation will pay dividends when running heating on a backup system, like batteries or a generator. If you insulate your spider room really well it will take less to heat /cool and the room will hold temperature longer on its own.

I'm in an apartment with limited space so I have to heat the entire common area to keep my Ts comfortable in the winter, so I get it. My next house will have a tarantula/reptile room.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry to hear of the loss. That would've been devastating to any collector/keeper.

Insulation will pay dividends when running heating on a backup system, like batteries or a generator. If you insulate your spider room really well it will take less to heat /cool and the room will hold temperature longer on its own.

I'm in an apartment with limited space so I have to heat the entire common area to keep my Ts comfortable in the winter, so I get it. My next house will have a tarantula/reptile room.
I’m actually going to buy a generator in a few weeks in order to avoid a repeat. Eventually I’m probably going to relocate to a warmer climate or at least a bigger house where I have space for a tarantula room.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Ugh, dude, what a gut punch. I don't know if I'd have the spirit to get back on the horse. Such a shame to lose such a great collection. Best of luck getting back into it. Where does the collection stand now? What do you still have?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ugh, dude, what a gut punch. I don't know if I'd have the spirit to get back on the horse. Such a shame to lose such a great collection. Best of luck getting back into it. Where does the collection stand now? What do you still have?
Wow, didn’t think you were still around.

it is in the 20s, including the E. campestratus and AF T. Albopilosus I got from you (I think the female cancerides was also from you, cannot remember, but it’s also still kicking).

As far as additions made, I have been getting into US Aphonopelma species quite heavily as of late.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Wow, didn’t think you were still around.

it is in the 20s, including the E. campestratus and AF T. Albopilosus I got from you (I think the female cancerides was also from you, cannot remember, but it’s also still kicking).

As far as additions made, I have been getting into US Aphonopelma species quite heavily as of late.
I'm not really around. I just check my notifications every now and then, and I still get notifications from this thread.

I'm so happy the campestratus is still alive. She'd be hard to replace. Aphonopelma seem pretty under-appreciated. I guess because they're native, they aren't as exciting? I'm glad you're picking them up. They deserve the love. Good luck with your spiders!

Latest posts