• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P.regalis cohab pairing separation timing?

Solsurfer

Ive had 2 p.regalis cohabitating for a week or so for breeding. The male has made 2 sperm webs at least since they've been together. At what point should I separate them to do the mock drought/monsoon seasons to entice the female to produce an eggsac? Or should I keep them together until she eats him or is not receptive . The female is still very receptive. the male drums but only runs away from her in fear when she gets close to him.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ive had 2 p.regalis cohabitating for a week or so for breeding. The male has made 2 sperm webs at least since they've been together. At what point should I separate them to do the mock drought/monsoon seasons to entice the female to produce an eggsac? Or should I keep them together until she eats him or is not receptive . The female is still very receptive. the male drums but only runs away from her in fear when she gets close to him.
Solsurfer, have you tried..ugh..AB threads on this? I never paired my female, so never researched it. @plessey..I personally think if the mm has made two sperm webs and now runs from her, the deed is done, and they both know it. At that point he's just a prey item..I live in south Texas, and I'm fond of letting spent males loose for their last days. Anthropomorphizing, I know. Still..I can't help it.

Solsurfer

No I haven't I just figured I'd throw the q out there. That's what I figure . He's been very timid since the beginning but seems more so now. I only seen one possible insertion but I think you're right I'm gonna separate them.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just so you know, if the female is too far into her molt cycle, she'll reject him. If he's still fresh, seperate them and let her molt. Feed her up and try again..you'll see an angry female become very sweet and receptive. Not sure if you knew that, had to be said..

Solsurfer

I made sure she was in a good time frame for molting. More than anything the male was just scared of her. I mean I don't blame him she's twice his size. The female was basically begging for it while he was being cowardly. She could have ate him 1000x over but she was very lady like. Anyways I'm almost positive he got it in a couple times when I wasn't watching.

Latest posts