• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. Ornata fang problem

Doozer

3 Year Member
I wasn't sure where to post this as it could happen to any T. After the Ornata's last molt, it has one fang that points straight out all the time. I know that things like this happen sometimes. I am just worried that it cannot eat. Has anyone else observed this and do I have anything to worry about.

Attachments

• 20191202_183222.jpg
    20191202_183222.jpg
    743.1 KB · Views: 48

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Is it missing the other fang, because when I scroll in on my phone all I get is a blur.

If his other fang is ok, then I guess it can eat but if the other one is messed up/missing then you will have to give it s helping hand to feed. Juicy prey items (superworms) with their heads crushed and guts slashed open or if it doesn't take to those you could blend mealworms etc into a soup, thin slightly with water, so it's easier for it to suck up.

I've no personal experience of this but I remember seeing the exact same problem but only 1 fang was affected in that case.

Good luck

Edit just managed to zoom in a bit better and I think I can make out the other fang now.

Doozer

3 Year Member
Is it missing the other fang, because when I scroll in on my phone all I get is a blur.

If his other fang is ok, then I guess it can eat but if the other one is messed up/missing then you will have to give it s helping hand to feed. Juicy prey items (superworms) with their heads crushed and guts slashed open or if it doesn't take to those you could blend mealworms etc into a soup, thin slightly with water, so it's easier for it to suck up.

I've no personal experience of this but I remember seeing the exact same problem but only 1 fang was affected in that case.

Good luck
Yea sorry about the potato. The other fang looks normal. I have not been able to see it eat lately but I will keep an eye on her to see if I can witness her eating. If I can't then I erroll definitely do as you suggested. Thanks for the advice.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They dont eat with their fangs. They kill and hold the prey with their fangs and shove the slurry into their mouths to be sucked up. Yours should still be able to kill its prey with the good fang. If not you'll need to kill its prey for it. I've nursed a tarantula before with no fangs it's easier then it sounds.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I wasn't sure where to post this as it could happen to any T. After the Ornata's last molt, it has one fang that points straight out all the time. I know that things like this happen sometimes. I am just worried that it cannot eat. Has anyone else observed this and do I have anything to worry about.
@sdsnybny have you seen this before????

Doozer

3 Year Member
They dont eat with their fangs. They kill and hold the prey with their fangs and shove the slurry into their mouths to be sucked up. Yours should still be able to kill its prey with the good fang. If not you'll need to kill its prey for it. I've nursed a tarantula before with no fangs it's easier then it sounds.
Well I did know that . I should have phrased it as I hope it can still kill its food. I was thinking that one fang might get in the way. Jess S let me know that I could make a slurry for her if she isn't able to take down any prey. I really do appreciate all the feed back I am recieving as I will always be in need of more knowledge. Thanks

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I think arachnoclown was referring to my post. Maybe I should have phrased it as feed, but I assumed you'd know what I meant.

Just wondering if there is any metal mesh on the enclosure and if so, have you ever seen her 'chewing' on it? That is another possibility of how the damage could have happened.

Good luck with her anyway, I'm sure it will just be a slight hiccup and she will be back to normal in time.

Doozer

3 Year Member
I think arachnoclown was referring to my post. Maybe I should have phrased it as feed, but I assumed you'd know what I meant.

Just wondering if there is any metal mesh on the enclosure and if so, have you ever seen her 'chewing' on it? That is another possibility of how the damage could have happened.

Good luck with her anyway, I'm sure it will just be a slight hiccup and she will be back to normal in time.
There is a fine mesh screen on the enclosure that I have put plexiglass over. I have not noticed it chewing on it but note that you mentioned it, I will be removing it. I am not as concerned about it now that you guys have given me some good advice. I will keep an eye on her at feeding time. If she does not take the pray down soon, I'll mix up some soup for her. Thanks again

Latest posts