• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Opinions needed please!

Tayayelor

Hey so I've been into tarantulas since I was 12, and I'm now 20. I've done tons of research in all those years and frequently research the spiders in find out and about. What I'm getting at is knowledge wise I'm good. However I need help picking out what tarantula to get now that I'm gonna finally get one. An if I should get a tarantula at all, I've recently been seeing a lot about jumping spiders? They're tiny and cute, and from what I've heard very inquisitive (for a spider) and that they arent the kind to bolt from their home the first chance they get. So I'm wondering how people feel tarantula vs jumping spider?
But, my local pet store gets pretty much the curly hair, the pink toe, and the zebra knee all the time, all juveniles but not slings. I know they're all good choices but for different reasons, I know the curly hair is slower and traditionally more docile, the zebra is faster, and the pink toe is less feisty. This is just from what I've read on forums and websites. So I know it varies to each individual spider, and I plan on asking the pet store owner about each ones personality from what they've seen but I want opinions from owners as well. If you have experience with any of them which would you recommend out of the three?
I dont plan on holding them a lot, I know it stresses them out, but when i do take it in and out i dont want it to be a big ordeal, I dont want to deal with what cobalt keepers deal with lmao. I'm also hoping to get one that come out a little more often and isnt a rock essentially lol.
So any help would be appreciated, I'm probably gonna go back in tomorrow and talk to the pet store guys, so any advice beforehand would be awesome!

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey so I've been into tarantulas since I was 12, and I'm now 20. I've done tons of research in all those years and frequently research the spiders in find out and about. What I'm getting at is knowledge wise I'm good. However I need help picking out what tarantula to get now that I'm gonna finally get one. An if I should get a tarantula at all, I've recently been seeing a lot about jumping spiders? They're tiny and cute, and from what I've heard very inquisitive (for a spider) and that they arent the kind to bolt from their home the first chance they get. So I'm wondering how people feel tarantula vs jumping spider?
But, my local pet store gets pretty much the curly hair, the pink toe, and the zebra knee all the time, all juveniles but not slings. I know they're all good choices but for different reasons, I know the curly hair is slower and traditionally more docile, the zebra is faster, and the pink toe is less feisty. This is just from what I've read on forums and websites. So I know it varies to each individual spider, and I plan on asking the pet store owner about each ones personality from what they've seen but I want opinions from owners as well. If you have experience with any of them which would you recommend out of the three?
I dont plan on holding them a lot, I know it stresses them out, but when i do take it in and out i dont want it to be a big ordeal, I dont want to deal with what cobalt keepers deal with lmao. I'm also hoping to get one that come out a little more often and isnt a rock essentially lol.
So any help would be appreciated, I'm probably gonna go back in tomorrow and talk to the pet store guys, so any advice beforehand would be awesome!
1. While both tarantulas and jumping spiders have their perks and based on what little I know about jumping spiders, tarantulas live longer. I believe @enncould me more helpful in the subject.

2. T. albopilosum are easy to keep. I started with one of these. They are always rearranging their enclosures and eat very well. I give all four of mine deep substrate with a hide and water dish that I overflow periodically. Temperament wise, they can be skittish, particularly as juvies in my opinion. My female Nicaraguan variant can turn on the jets at times, but other than that, all of mine are fairly calm.

3. Avics are beginner friendly but not the other way around. They are easy to keep arboreals, that are fast and can be quite skittish and have very good aim as well (pop cannon), enclosure must have a lot of ventilation and substrate must be dry (minus the water dish). It is not necessary to elevate the water dish as they will go down towards the water dish.

3. A. seemani like deep and damp substrate for digging. Most are skittish, though more like unpredictable. Honestly it seems as if they have more fossorial tendencies judging by what I have read. I don't have one of these yet, but threads concerning this species pop up at least once every other week.

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Never had a jumping spider, but I do love to find them outside and pick them up, they are so cool! There are many out there that have jumping spiders as pets, they are quite intriguing. I own an A. seemani (sub adult female), got her from a pet shop over 3 years ago, wonderful T, they are quite skittish (at times). When my seemani hears my footsteps, she scampers straight to her hide and then there will be times when she will calmly walk right up to me and even let me pet her. The thing about pet shops is a majority of the time, they have little to no knowledge about tarantulas and even have a tendency of neglecting them. My seemani was seriously stressed at the pet shop she was at, it took her several months to calm down once I got her home. Pet shops are the worst when it comes to tarantulas, I would say go and rescue that seemani from there, it will be much happier :). Females can live up to 15-20 years and males 5 years, if cared for properly. They are great eaters, have lots of personality, and as @PanzoN88 said, damp substrate for them, overflowed water dish, and deep substrate. Avicularia avicularia are sweethearts but they are rather quick and jumpy, and yes, they will readily poop on you. T albopilosum are the most chill tarantulas, eating machines, sweet disposition, adorable at that (I have one). Keep us posted as to which one you choose.

Tayayelor

1. While both tarantulas and jumping spiders have their perks and based on what little I know about jumping spiders, tarantulas live longer. I believe @enncould me more helpful in the subject.

2. T. albopilosum are easy to keep. I started with one of these. They are always rearranging their enclosures and eat very well. I give all four of mine deep substrate with a hide and water dish that I overflow periodically. Temperament wise, they can be skittish, particularly as juvies in my opinion. My female Nicaraguan variant can turn on the jets at times, but other than that, all of mine are fairly calm.

3. Avics are beginner friendly but not the other way around. They are easy to keep arboreals, that are fast and can be quite skittish and have very good aim as well (pop cannon), enclosure must have a lot of ventilation and substrate must be dry (minus the water dish). It is not necessary to elevate the water dish as they will go down towards the water dish.

3. A. seemani like deep and damp substrate for digging. Most are skittish, though more like unpredictable. Honestly it seems as if they have more fossorial tendencies judging by what I have read. I don't have one of these yet, but threads concerning this species pop up at least once every other week.
Thanks so much for the in depth reply! I had pretty much came to the same conclusion about the differences between avics and albopilosum, its like the tarantula equivalent of keeping a water dragon vs a bearded dragon lol (respectively of course) which is why I've been leaning towards the albopilosum and the seemani, with my biggest reservation being about the unpredictability of the seemani

Tayayelor

Never had a jumping spider, but I do love to find them outside and pick them up, they are so cool! There are many out there that have jumping spiders as pets, they are quite intriguing. I own an A. seemani (sub adult female), got her from a pet shop over 3 years ago, wonderful T, they are quite skittish (at times). When my seemani hears my footsteps, she scampers straight to her hide and then there will be times when she will calmly walk right up to me and even let me pet her. The thing about pet shops is a majority of the time, they have little to no knowledge about tarantulas and even have a tendency of neglecting them. My seemani was seriously stressed at the pet shop she was at, it took her several months to calm down once I got her home. Pet shops are the worst when it comes to tarantulas, I would say go and rescue that seemani from there, it will be much happier :). Females can live up to 15-20 years and males 5 years, if cared for properly. They are great eaters, have lots of personality, and as @PanzoN88 said, damp substrate for them, overflowed water dish, and deep substrate. Avicularia avicularia are sweethearts but they are rather quick and jumpy, and yes, they will readily poop on you. T albopilosum are the most chill tarantulas, eating machines, sweet disposition, adorable at that (I have one). Keep us posted as to which one you choose.
I also love jumping spiders, they're fuzzy lil legs and gigantic eyes are soso cute. I'm thinking maybe I'll just get both since jumping spiders require far less than tarantulas it wouldnt be a big deal to have both. I know how you feel about pet shops, normally I would buy one from a breeder but when I see them locally I have the same thought you do, might as well rescue them here! I do feel though that while the pet shop may not be exactly knowledgeable, they gave the spiders pretty nice enclosures so I'm hoping they arent that stressed out! I'm of course not looking to the pet store for keeping advice, only gonna see what they know about the tarantulas personality. The seemani is beautiful and I'm definitely leaning towards that or the Albopilosum, since from everything I've heard the Albos are almost always calm (theres always one though that defies the odds). I'm mostly just nervous about getting one and it ending up wanting to kill me lol. Ive had a turtle since I was 11 (kind of a rescued pet, as in rescued it from someone's toilet) but she loves me, however about 6 months or so ago I got a beardie and that guy hates, and I mean hates, my guts. And boy does he love to bolt on me. Makes caring for him a bit stressful at times. That's kind of what I'm *hoping* to avoid. I will definitely keep you all posted! I'll probably decide and get one after thursday!

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum and the hobby :)
Just to offer my personal opinion in obtaining a beginner species..
Jumping spiders are great and I've had several over the years but the downside to them is there short life span :(
In terms of tarantulas best of starting with an easy to care for Hardy species which are easy to obtain too
I recommend the following three
T. Albopilosum
B. Hamorii
G. Pulchripes
All three are usually good feeding. Large attractive species that are usually happy to be out on display.. Out of the three the G. Pulchripes is the faster growing if you were thinking of getting a sling or juvie - they are often overlooked despite being a fantastic beginner species
Hope this helps you in some way to considering what spider to start with.. Good luck :)

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Everyone makes good points above. I'd like to add my vote to the T. albopilosum. You can't go wrong with one as your first. They look sweet as slings and grow into handsome adults. They eat very well. How can you say no to this sweet baby?!!

IMG-20191019-WA0001.jpg

Obviously you'll be getting a juvenile rather than a sling. They grow at a really good rate and are incredibly hardy, so are much easier for anyone to keep as a first T than an Avic. I mean, it is almost impossible to kill one of these by incorrect care! I've got 3 at the moment and they've been a joy. I'm in love!
Good luck with whatever you decide to go for. Sounds like you've done your research and are asking the right questions so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Get the Alphonopelma seemanni. I've got 6 ladies and 2 males. All of them are out and visible all the time. Dont give them deep substrate...thats why no one see theirs or any other species that will burrow deep. Give them only 4" of substrate and then they consider their enclosure as their burrow. It's that simple really. They are calm and laided back once they mature...except the males(horny beasts). :D
20191108_133407.jpg
20191108_133146.jpg
20190420_171531.jpg
20190311_150521.jpg

GarField000

3 Year Member
The pinktoe (Avicularia/Caribena) species are 'treespiders'. When I started I found those harder to take care for. Where do I put the waterdish, how can I feed it if it doesn't eat from the tongs.
Aphonapelma seemani, Brachypelma, Tlitocatl (albopilosum, vagans) or Grammostola species are very good beginners. They all don't need any specific different things (high enclsoures like treespiders, or deep substrate, or moist substrate) and its all up 2 your likings what you think is pretty.

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Get the Alphonopelma seemanni. I've got 6 ladies and 2 males. All of them are out and visible all the time. Dont give them deep substrate...thats why no one see theirs or any other species that will burrow deep. Give them only 4" of substrate and then they consider their enclosure as their burrow. It's that simple really. They are calm and laided back once they mature...except the males(horny beasts). :DView attachment 42165View attachment 42166View attachment 42167View attachment 42168
Beautiful seemani brotha! I agree with what you said about not having too deep of substrate for them (I only put 3-4 inches of coconut fiber for mine) never seen mine digging to burrow, she just loves her hide.

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Everyone makes good points above. I'd like to add my vote to the T. albopilosum. You can't go wrong with one as your first. They look sweet as slings and grow into handsome adults. They eat very well. How can you say no to this sweet baby?!!

View attachment 42163

Obviously you'll be getting a juvenile rather than a sling. They grow at a really good rate and are incredibly hardy, so are much easier for anyone to keep as a first T than an Avic. I mean, it is almost impossible to kill one of these by incorrect care! I've got 3 at the moment and they've been a joy. I'm in love!
Good luck with whatever you decide to go for. Sounds like you've done your research and are asking the right questions so I'm sure you'll be fine.
Aww such a cutie albo! Love them, they are so sweet!

Tayayelor

Okay so thanks everyone for your input it definitely helped! I went in today and was literally torn between the albo and the seemani, the albo was under his log with his furry legs poking out and the seemani had actually come out of hiding. So I talked to the guy at the shop, who funnily enough is actually knowledgeable on spiders as apparently he keeps many of them and scorpions, and what he said was mostly what you all said, the albo was far less skittish than the seemani, but he seemed to attribute most of the seemani skittishness due to being young, and stressed out from the store environment he also said that even though seemani was a lil skittish he had never done the defensive pose or even attempted to bite. Soo, I decided to get the seemani, even the albo was soso cute and I'll probably get one later but for now I've got this guy!
20191129_205240.jpg
20191129_205234.jpg

I've currently got it in pretty large Tupperware with holes, until I finish the 10 gal (unfortunately I had to go to work before I could) also temporarily got some reptile sand in there, a lil too young to tell gender so I'm thinking of going with the name sherbert lol
Now I will say he is fast, I knew they're known for being fast but it still surprised me. So that will take some getting used to!

Attachments

• 20191129_205240.jpg
    20191129_205240.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 20191129_205234.jpg
    20191129_205234.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Gorgeous specimen, good choice. Mmm, maybe I'll get one myself one day lol.

A 10 gallon maybe a bit big at the moment, if it's a juvi? I'm not very familiar with gallons but sounds like the sort of size you'd put an adult in. I've currently got a 4" terrestrial in a plastic shoebox size enclosure.

The main thing is getting the substrate changed as reptile sand isn't suitable. Most keepers on this forum use coco fibre or you can use topsoil providing it is additive free. The only other thing the little guy needs to feel secure is a hide and a waterdish.

Enjoy your new pet. It'll probably be the first of many lol

Tayayelor

Gorgeous specimen, good choice. Mmm, maybe I'll get one myself one day lol.

A 10 gallon maybe a bit big at the moment, if it's a juvi? I'm not very familiar with gallons but sounds like the sort of size you'd put an adult in. I've currently got a 4" terrestrial in a plastic shoebox size enclosure.

The main thing is getting the substrate changed as reptile sand isn't suitable. Most keepers on this forum use coco fibre or you can use topsoil providing it is additive free. The only other thing the little guy needs to feel secure is a hide and a waterdish.

Enjoy your new pet. It'll probably be the first of many lol
Thanks for your input! Yes 10 gallon is pretty much for an adult, but I already had one at home so i felt no reason he cant stay in there imo, but maybe I'll get like a lil critter keeper too!
And yes I didnt intend to keep the reptile sand, it was just temporary to help keep the water dish in place, I've got coco fibre now, I just had left it at my dads house and had to retrieve it after work!
So the next thing on my list is getting the hiding spot but all the stores are closed so thats gotta wait till the morning unfortunately, but I think overall hes good right now with coco fibre, and a lil water dish!
Just trying to figure out what I should do about lighting the aquarium! (I keep referring to it as he but it could very well be a she)

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
Okay so thanks everyone for your input it definitely helped! I went in today and was literally torn between the albo and the seemani, the albo was under his log with his furry legs poking out and the seemani had actually come out of hiding. So I talked to the guy at the shop, who funnily enough is actually knowledgeable on spiders as apparently he keeps many of them and scorpions, and what he said was mostly what you all said, the albo was far less skittish than the seemani, but he seemed to attribute most of the seemani skittishness due to being young, and stressed out from the store environment he also said that even though seemani was a lil skittish he had never done the defensive pose or even attempted to bite. Soo, I decided to get the seemani, even the albo was soso cute and I'll probably get one later but for now I've got this guy!
View attachment 42204View attachment 42206
I've currently got it in pretty large Tupperware with holes, until I finish the 10 gal (unfortunately I had to go to work before I could) also temporarily got some reptile sand in there, a lil too young to tell gender so I'm thinking of going with the name sherbert lol
Now I will say he is fast, I knew they're known for being fast but it still surprised me. So that will take some getting used to!

Im super impressed by how healthy she looks! Anything I’ve ever seen in pet stores look beat to hell with the baldest abdomens you’ve ever seen. I wish more stores would treat their ts like yours does.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for your input! Yes 10 gallon is pretty much for an adult, but I already had one at home so i felt no reason he cant stay in there imo, but maybe I'll get like a lil critter keeper too!
And yes I didnt intend to keep the reptile sand, it was just temporary to help keep the water dish in place, I've got coco fibre now, I just had left it at my dads house and had to retrieve it after work!
So the next thing on my list is getting the hiding spot but all the stores are closed so thats gotta wait till the morning unfortunately, but I think overall hes good right now with coco fibre, and a lil water dish!
Just trying to figure out what I should do about lighting the aquarium! (I keep referring to it as he but it could very well be a she)

I call all mine he until I know for sure too! If you want to stick with the 10 gallon, go for it, it's your tarantula. It may take it a little longer to find it's food, but it will find it, especially if you drop it right in front of it! Maybe keep the waterbowl on the same end as its hide too.

I can't advise you on lighting as I don't use any myself, so someone else will advise. I guess the main thing is to make sure whatever light you use doesn't cause overheating of the enclosure.

You've got a smashing little tarantula there. All the best!

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congrats on your seemani! What a beautiful T! That's the first pet shop T that I have ever seen in such great shape!

smallbike

3 Year Member

What a lil chonk! I need to fatten mine up for real.

Tayayelor

Hey everyone so real quick update,
I tried giving him some mealworms because, sorry but I personally detest crickets, and figured I'd at least see if I can avoid them and sadly I think no, he is absolutely not interested in the mealworms. I put some in a dish they couldnt get out of and he didnt touch it, I used some tongs and put it so close to him and still didnt want any. So I guess crickets it will have to be. However hes gotten super calm, when I first moved him he was moving so quick and darting around anytime I did anything, but now hes so calm, I can open his lid and he doesnt move, sometimes when I need him to move out from one spot I will use a brush and very lightly nudge him and he doesnt dart away! He walks real calmly to the other side, and doesnt turn around and throw hands either! He actually hasnt done a defensive pose at all yet. Now on another note, I didnt give very deep substrate like some suggested so he cant burrow, but to make up for it hes in a very dark corner of my shelves, but he has been doing this thing recently where he just kinda sits on top of his water dish? Not in the water but just on the rim of the bowl? And hes completely webbed up the area around the bowl. I had to move him away from the bowl today so I could add water to it. Just kind of odd, dont know if theres a reason or if maybe he just likes the bowl?
Sorry for another paragraph here lol

Latest posts