• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

On keeping a Psalmoeus pulcher sling

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Well, I'm about 1.5 hours into owning my first T: a Psalmoeus pulcher sling about 1" across.
He was well-mannered when I transferred him to his enclosure but I could tell he could take off in any direction if he wanted. I carefully coaxed him into the enclosure and snapped the lid shut.
He's really quite active. He's climbing about and really seems to like the top edge of the enclosure. It's probably 5 to 6 inches from there to the bottom so I'm concerned about him falling - but maybe I'm just being paranoid.
He's really cool looking and a lot of fun to watch as he marches around.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You don't need to fear a fall with an arboreal T. They're quite tough and resilient. I've actually seen mine attack a cricket and tumble down the cork bark (like she was falling down stairs) fall on her back and just continue to chow down.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
When was the little guy last fed, Kenny? When do you think it's safe to feed him again? Should I start with pinheads?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for also calming my anxiety about his missing leg via PM! Can't wait to see him molt and sprout a new one! My family says I should name it Harry/Harriet. What do you all think?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
So the little guy is already webbed up in a corner between two pieces of bark! I'm trying to get a quality picture but it's difficult with such a small container

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
My sling is still cooped up in his webbed corner. I haven't seen him come out in a couple days but I can see him in there when I use a flashlight. I put a small cricket in there but it just ran around and the T didn't seem to budge. I pulled the cricket out so I can try again later. I bet this is pretty normal behavior but I'm a tad bit worried. He was super active when I got him and once he settled in he's been rather scarce

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yeah, It's a good thing. It means she's getting comfortable. As she gets larger, she'll get braver.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
She still hasn't come out that I've seen. I put half a cricket in with her and it appears untouched. Shouldn't she be getting hungry soon??

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
perfectly normal. when she's hungry she'll eat. A lot of her sac mates have been molting lately so ...

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Well, she molted! She kicked the molt out of her hiding spot. Hopefully she'll eat in a couple days!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
ydyje2e3.jpg

Here's a photo of her first molt!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep! She's happy n healthy and even came out to eat a cricket leg! :) :) :)

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sounds like a normal T. I only see my pulcher as she darts out of her web to grab her food and take it back to her hiding spot. Sometimes I can catch her moving around when it is dark in the room though.