• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

OMG....

Wg25

3 Year Member
Hey guys
So I woke up this morning to find all my tubs of crickets being eaten by ants. This is the 3rd time this has happened....makes me soo pissed , god I hate ants. So afraid that they will crawl trough vents and eat my slings at night!
Has this happened to anyone?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The area I live in is bad for ants, had to rehouse all my T's because of them getting in. (3 are slings) I painted vasoline around the bottom they bridged over it. Finally took a large shallow container and put an inch of water in it, upended some empty containers so they wouldn't chill and sat everything in that. Also sprinkled cinnamon around as they supposedly don't like it.

Roo

3 Year Member
Move them to an ant proof box.

You can make your own with a plastic box (a dollar/pound store one will do) and insect mesh (untreated) from a gardening store. Will keep everything out and in.

Wg25

3 Year Member
The area I live in is bad for ants, had to rehouse all my T's because of them getting in. (3 are slings) I painted vasoline around the bottom they bridged over it. Finally took a large shallow container and put an inch of water in it, upended some empty containers so they wouldn't chill and sat everything in that. Also sprinkled cinnamon around as they supposedly don't like it.
Thanks for the advice Kymura! Will give it a shot!

Jakob

3 Year Member
Where are u from Jakob??? Here in South-Africa we have huge ant problems in some parts of the country
I'm from Iceland. Beautiful nature and all, wildlife is pretty boring, the most dangerous wildlife here are minks and foxes lol.
As for invertebrates... the only ones that cause any problems here are silverfish, and only because they carry germs. No venomous animals or invertebrates here.
Also almost all exotic animals are illegal here, turtles, turtoises, lizards, snakes, T's, scorpions... which sucks.

Rockpython

3 Year Member
Move them to an ant proof box.

You can make your own with a plastic box (a dollar/pound store one will do) and insect mesh (untreated) from a gardening store. Will keep everything out and in.

OR put your T's on a table with the legs in cups of water, so the ants drown...

Wg25

3 Year Member
I'm from Iceland. Beautiful nature and all, wildlife is pretty boring, the most dangerous wildlife here are minks and foxes lol.
As for invertebrates... the only ones that cause any problems here are silverfish, and only because they carry germs. No venomous animals or invertebrates here.
Also almost all exotic animals are illegal here, turtles, turtoises, lizards, snakes, T's, scorpions... which sucks.
Wow that's really awesome! Just reed a post yesterday that said Iceland has no army and is considered the most peaceful place to live!!! Would love to visit you country Jakob!!!

Jakob

3 Year Member
Wow that's really awesome! Just reed a post yesterday that said Iceland has no army and is considered the most peaceful place to live!!! Would love to visit you country Jakob!!!
Yeah no army here, police doesn't even carry firearms.

Jakob

3 Year Member
what do you have to do to get the permit? is it costly?
Yes it is costly, also tons of paperwork, very difficult to get a permit, I wouldn't have gotten one unless I knew the right people.
The law is very outdated and basically without any reason, and the result is a lot of illegally imported reptiles which could carry diseases for example salmonella. They were all banned in the 80's, the argument was that they are dangerous and prone to carry salmonella, also that they don't belong in the Icelandic wildlife.
BTW so sorry for hijacking the thread.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Yes it is costly, also tons of paperwork, very difficult to get a permit, I wouldn't have gotten one unless I knew the right people.
The law is very outdated and basically without any reason, and the result is a lot of illegally imported reptiles which could carry diseases for example salmonella. They were all banned in the 80's, the argument was that they are dangerous and prone to carry salmonella, also that they don't belong in the Icelandic wildlife.

wow, very interesting. Thanks for sharing @Jakob

Wg25

3 Year Member
No problem Jakob! Thanks for sharing :)

Latest posts