• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

OMG OMG OMG

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
... okay, my 2" OBT sling is due to arrive tomorrow, along with my 1/4" B. smithi. I am preparing respective housing etc and am wondering, after searching the net for yet more advice on OBT slings and housing, if keeping it in a large KK is okay. Can a 2" OBT sling escape through the "vents" that are part of the KK lid? Something is telling me "yup, probably". I've been toying with the addition of one for a little over a year and have done research etc, but the closer the arrival date gets, the more my bits start to sweat and so I am trying to reduce the number of rehouses I have to put the OBT through, and the number of adult diapers I am going to soil in the process :p:T::T::T::T::T::p

I had planned originally on putting it straight away into a "divided into thirds" 20 gallon and removing dividers as it grew, but after realizing it might not get to be much bigger than my GBB (5" DLS), feel that maybe it might be content and well housed in a simple 5 gal, 10 gal max. It's going to web it's hole or hide anyway, so a huge amount of "walk about" space seems unnecessary. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Just1moreT

3 Year Member
They really don't need alot space a 2 inch obt will not get out of a kk unless you leave the lid open :) I have adult female she is going on 6 years, not near as nasty as the younger ones are ,but still will try to keep intruders out.she lives in a 5 gallon tank standing on its end .at the time that was only empty I had ,so her floor space is like 8 INCH square rarely comes out of her hide ,so they really dont need much , but would imagine if givin a lot of sub they would make as deep burrow as they could ,so all those mongoose's couldn't get them lol

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
They really don't need alot space a 2 inch obt will not get out of a kk unless you leave the lid open :) I have adult female she is going on 6 years, not near as nasty as the younger ones are ,but still will try to keep intruders out.she lives in a 5 gallon tank standing on its end .at the time that was only empty I had ,so her floor space is like 8 INCH square rarely comes out of her hide ,so they really dont need much , but would imagine if givin a lot of sub they would make as deep burrow as they could ,so all those mongoose's couldn't get them lol

THANK YOU!!! Your post helped me make my final decision. I'm going with the medium KK for now, then when she's about 3.5 or so she can go into the 5 gallon. I think I will keep it terrestrially, but give the option of half a log to climb if it wants to. I'll keep you all posted. Ha ha, here little mongoose mongoose mongoose.. I have a web with your name all over it lol

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I kept one of mine when it was about 2" in one of the medium critter keepers with no problems at all. Just give it some nice deep, dry sub and a water dish and it will be nice a cozy. :)

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
Obt's are nice when grown and out in the open where you can see them ,that 5 gallon tank will be nice

Yea! Thank you so much for your support. This is, by far, the MOST jittery I've ever been about a T. The B. smithi is a breeze compared to this. Posted in T Enclosure section a pictorial of the enclosure I fashioned just this morning in preparation for the smithi's arrival if you want to take a peek. Comments are, as always, more than welcome :D

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
I kept one of mine when it was about 2" in one of the medium critter keepers with no problems at all. Just give it some nice deep, dry sub and a water dish and it will be nice a cozy. :)

Wonderful news, thank you. I plan on doing likewise. Thank you for clarifying the "deep, DRY, sub". I was going back and forth through the web trying to decide how much, if any, humidity a juvie OBT needs. I think with a soda pop cap of water with a pebble in it it will be just fine for both drinking and whatever humidity it may require. I might mist a corner of the tank once a month or so if need be as I know they like it rather dry. I posted in T Enclosures a little pictorial of the enclosure I set up for the B. smithi that is also coming today. Take a peek if you want and let me know what you think. I will post the OBT's housing process later today :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just a suggestion, if you want to see it out and about more often, give it less substrate. This is a highly adaptable species, and will web up the entire enclosure If not able to burrow. OBTs that have lots of sub often will just burrow, and therefore will be seen much less often.

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
Just a suggestion, if you want to see it out and about more often, give it less substrate. This is a highly adaptable species, and will web up the entire enclosure If not able to burrow. OBTs that have lots of sub often will just burrow, and therefore will be seen much less often.

Hello and thank you for your comment. I was wondering about that, too. It's what I did for my 2 H. spinifer juvie scorpions. I know they burrow like mini excavators and quickly become pet holes, so I afforded them maybe 1/3 or so less of the substrate they are used to in hopes of increasing the opportunity for viewing. So far, it hasn't worked. LOL They've snuggled down into what's there and come out once in a while at night to hunt. There's a pic of their tank in my media page.

For the OBT, however, I fear that by NOT giving it a suitable hide/place to safely retreat, it will, as you say, web up the entire enclosure, thus making it both harder for me to spot in all that webbing, and, more importantly, giving the little speed demon more of a trampoline from which to hurl itself at me!! :eek::T::p

I would like her or him to be somewhat visible though... hmmm.. conundrum.. I shall ponder this as I fashion its home. I posted in T Enclosures forum here a short pictorial of the home I fashioned this morning for the B. smithi sling. Take a peek if you'd like and tell me what you think ;)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I
Hello and thank you for your comment. I was wondering about that, too. It's what I did for my 2 H. spinifer juvie scorpions. I know they burrow like mini excavators and quickly become pet holes, so I afforded them maybe 1/3 or so less of the substrate they are used to in hopes of increasing the opportunity for viewing. So far, it hasn't worked. LOL They've snuggled down into what's there and come out once in a while at night to hunt. There's a pic of their tank in my media page.

For the OBT, however, I fear that by NOT giving it a suitable hide/place to safely retreat, it will, as you say, web up the entire enclosure, thus making it both harder for me to spot in all that webbing, and, more importantly, giving the little speed demon more of a trampoline from which to hurl itself at me!! :eek::T::p

I would like her or him to be somewhat visible though... hmmm.. conundrum.. I shall ponder this as I fashion its home. I posted in T Enclosures forum here a short pictorial of the home I fashioned this morning for the B. smithi sling. Take a peek if you'd like and tell me what you think ;)

You're still giving it a suitable hiding place. I provide them with a slab of cork bark which I put at an angle. for them to web against. It's not gonna jump out and bite you in the jugular, nor is it likely to jump out and run away. Here's the set-up I have for my 2 1/2 inch juvenile:

Attachments

• obt home 3.jpg
    obt home 3.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 17
  • obt home 2.jpg
    obt home 2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 23
  • obt home 4.jpg
    obt home 4.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 16
  • obt home.jpg
    obt home.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 19

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
I

You're still giving it a suitable hiding place. I provide them with a slab of cork bark which I put at an angle. for them to web against. It's not gonna jump out and bite you in the jugular, nor is it likely to jump out and run away. Here's the set-up I have for my 2 1/2 inch juvenile:

Not jump out and run away.. perhaps not when it's comfortably webbed, however, before said web is constructed, it might just give it a go. As a matter of fact, I had an expected experience rehousing my OBT this morning. I have a pictorial post in T enclosure forums highlighting my experience with the OBT like I put up for the Red Knee. Check it out if you'd like. LOL You might get a kick out of it :)

micheldied

3 Year Member
My personal experience with them is that they're very bold and will be out a lot of the time regardless of the setup. Any hides of any sort I provided were webbed up to the T's liking anyway. The way I kept them was giving them a lot of "furniture" to web up, and they formed some pretty amazing webs.
As for water, they can pretty much be kept bone dry. Many baboon species can. The water dishes I placed would end up completely webbed up, and I eventually just removed them. They don't really need it.

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
My personal experience with them is that they're very bold and will be out a lot of the time regardless of the setup. Any hides of any sort I provided were webbed up to the T's liking anyway. The way I kept them was giving them a lot of "furniture" to web up, and they formed some pretty amazing webs.
As for water, they can pretty much be kept bone dry. Many baboon species can. The water dishes I placed would end up completely webbed up, and I eventually just removed them. They don't really need it.

Thank you so much for the guidance about the water. And bold is quite right. Out and exploring her enclosure straight away. I'll put all that up in my pictorial. Should be up within the hour. What a hoot this was LOL

micheldied

3 Year Member
Thank you so much for the guidance about the water. And bold is quite right. Out and exploring her enclosure straight away. I'll put all that up in my pictorial. Should be up within the hour. What a hoot this was LOL

If you're worried, since it's relatively small, you an always spray some water on the webbing now and then. They're very hardy.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I honestly don't bother with a water dish for this species. Same thing with a lot of heavy webbers.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yea! Thank you so much for your support. This is, by far, the MOST jittery I've ever been about a T. The B. smithi is a breeze compared to this. Posted in T Enclosure section a pictorial of the enclosure I fashioned just this morning in preparation for the smithi's arrival if you want to take a peek. Comments are, as always, more than welcome :D
I get the jitters every time I get a T. It's a good thing :). Once you don't get excited, you don't enjoy. Best wishes withe new arrivals.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Correct. My balfouri webs completely over the dish as well, anyway, so my OBT and balfouri don't get water bowls
Same with my GBB it just pulls it across the tank with the Web and spills it all anyway mucky kids!

Latest posts