• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Oh you got to love the Rose Hair....

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
My mature female Rose Hair is acting a little abnormal lately, from day one she has eating an insane amount of crickets with no problem, I have had her for 2 weeks and in that time I'd say she's consumed 12-15 crickets. And she freaks out with any little vibration, I have to take her cage off my shelf to feed her and refill her water and when I do that she sprints all over the place! I mean it is nuts, I'm not banging the tank around hitting the edges, I am moving slowly, and quietly. None of my other T's have a issue. But she does. Of course, it's a Rose Hair lol they are the most abnormal T. I just don't want to be over feeding or hurting my T in any way. But it seems like if I don't feed her she is unhappy, she will pace and pace the whole tank, she will go on the ceiling!!! :eek: It makes me nervous to watch, but if you toss her some juicy crickets she is happy and sprawled out resting. o_O

My mom surprised me and got her from Petsmart, I am going to say that I am not a big fan of buying animals from petsmart because in my opinion they don't understand each animals needs to the fullest therefore they are treated poorly. Don't take that personal. I don't mean to offend. They kept her in an xsmall critter keeper with little substrate and lots of moisture with a great big wet sponge in the center...big no no! Horrible living conditions. She also has old injuries on her legs that I am still curious about, but she moves about fine. Do you think they fed her? Is there something wrong with her? Am I contributing to the problem?

Just thinking out loud but need some help! :confused:

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
It sounds like you're doing well for her. Just be careful to not overfeed her. How big is she? Have you posted any photos of her and her setup?
Hopefully she'll settle in and not be so skittish about vibrations and such. Just give her a bit more time. Does she have a hide of some kind?
Keep up the good work!

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Funny you should mention all this about G. rosea in pet stores...I'm actually going to Petco tomorrow to possibly bring home a Rosie just because I feel sorry for it! It's on wet sub (another no for Rosies) and when I saw it, it was sitting atop its hide rather than on the soggy stuff. :( I keep saying "it"; I'm really hoping it's female. I tried to tell just by its physical appearance and I think it may be female but I'm not positive. Hopefully I will end up with a new friend. :)

If your Rosie came from a pet store it is most likely a wild-caught specimen, this may explain its nutty behavior. Like Josh said, make sure she isn't overfed. Since tarantulas instinctively grab whatever prey is nearby, it's easy to feel they're not getting enough to eat. Roughly 6-8 crickets a month is plenty.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ramases was like that when i got him. I always suspected he was wild caught. He stopped being a pig eventually but is still nutty.

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
It sounds like you're doing well for her. Just be careful to not overfeed her. How big is she? Have you posted any photos of her and her setup?
Hopefully she'll settle in and not be so skittish about vibrations and such. Just give her a bit more time. Does she have a hide of some kind?
Keep up the good work!
Thank you Josh! *relief* she is 5.3 inches! BIG BIG GIRL! haha I can defintly get you a pic of her set up today. She has a hide, I had a half log in there for a while but she never used it, so I created this retreat/hide with bark. That is where she laid her rug webbing on the substrate. She loves it! :D

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
Funny you should mention all this about G. rosea in pet stores...I'm actually going to Petco tomorrow to possibly bring home a Rosie just because I feel sorry for it! It's on wet sub (another no for Rosies) and when I saw it, it was sitting atop its hide rather than on the soggy stuff. :( I keep saying "it"; I'm really hoping it's female. I tried to tell just by its physical appearance and I think it may be female but I'm not positive. Hopefully I will end up with a new friend. :)

If your Rosie came from a pet store it is most likely a wild-caught specimen, this may explain its nutty behavior. Like Josh said, make sure she isn't overfed. Since tarantulas instinctively grab whatever prey is nearby, it's easy to feel they're not getting enough to eat. Roughly 6-8 crickets a month is plenty.

Thank you for this feedback! And I know right, whenever my mom and I went into petsmart and saw her I came close a couple of times getting her because I just wanna rescue her! It is so sad! :( I really hope you get her! That would be awesome, I didn't know that she was bred in captivity, it never crossed my mind that she could be wild caught *duh* :p. I will back off big time with feeding. Thank you all!

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Thank you for this feedback! And I know right, whenever my mom and I went into petsmart and saw her I came close a couple of times getting her because I just wanna rescue her! It is so sad! :( I really hope you get her! That would be awesome, I didn't know that she was bred in captivity, it never crossed my mind that she could be wild caught *duh* :p. I will back off big time with feeding. Thank you all!

I did go today but I did not come home with a T. :( It was a different individual and they couldn't tell me if it was male or female. I think it may have been an imm. male. If the last T went so fast hopefully this one will be going to a better home soon, too. Maybe next time. ;)

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
I did go today but I did not come home with a T. :( It was a different individual and they couldn't tell me if it was male or female. I think it may have been an imm. male. If the last T went so fast hopefully this one will be going to a better home soon, too. Maybe next time. ;)
Awe shucks! :(

Latest posts