• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Odd Behaviour?

rénee

3 Year Member
First off, Merry Christmas! Even if i am a tad late :)

As some may know i recently had got an A. Avic sling, i like to think that this little one has adjusted very well in its home. It has created a decent amount of webbing which pretty much covers the whole flooring, some webs shooting across the enclosure from one side to another, and has started eating for me, it is quite active at times, and at other times quite calm. I have read that A. Avic being a arboreal species prefers being up in the air, on leafs, on the side of the enclosure, whatever. But mine i find at most times just sitting on the ground, although the ground is completely covered in webs that shoot up a bit higher, so actually the little one isn't on the ground but on its web(if that makes sense?). Anyways this may be a stupid question but is it odd to see arboreals more on the ground than up? Or is this possibly just a sling thing, it does sometimes end up on the leaves and hanging on the enclosure, just odd that its more on the ground?

Call me Renee the worry wart :p

rénee

3 Year Member
At first i had the leaf sticking out of the ground, and then a leaf glued to the side, but i realized it probably didn't exactly have anything to "grab" onto with its webs higher up, perhaps leading to the fact it hangs out closer to the ground. So i added in a piece of stick a few days ago, so it may take it awhile to adjust to it. But it should have something to grab onto now?

Attachments

• 20151228_104635.jpg
    20151228_104635.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • 20151228_104629.jpg
    20151228_104629.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
in my experience, sometimes the slings like to be on the ground more. But some do hangout up top. If it eating and drinking then there is nothing to worry about. it might just prefer it down low right now.

rénee

3 Year Member
Update: I think the little one hung out on the ground because there was nothing to grab onto/web onto higher up. Honestly i didnt give it the setup it quite needed.

But since i have added the stick in there, the little one is loving it, in the few days its been there, there is webs now shooting from the stick to the wall, and i have not seen it come down. It likes to perch itself way up in this little "hook" and stay there, but i have not seen it off the stick since its been in there. Glad that i realized that something was a "bit off" and changed it to its liking :)

Oh and yes the little one is eating, actually its quite the little piggy:rolleyes:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
in my experience, sometimes the slings like to be on the ground more. But some do hangout up top. If it eating and drinking then there is nothing to worry about. it might just prefer it down low right now.
For most arboreals yes, but Avicularia are considered "true arboreals" in the sense that they rarely come down to the ground and are up high pretty much from slinghood to adult hood. A few species do seem to prefer hanging it towards the middle of the enclosure though while others just stay up near the top.

Renee, I honestly font see anything wrong here. Everything looks/sounds fine. I'd add more ventilation holes into that container though.

rénee

3 Year Member
For most arboreals yes, but Avicularia are considered "true arboreals" in the sense that they rarely come down to the ground and are up high pretty much from slinghood to adult hood. A few species do seem to prefer hanging it towards the middle of the enclosure though while others just stay up near the top.

Renee, I honestly font see anything wrong here. Everything looks/sounds fine. I'd add more ventilation holes into that container though.

No I think things are good now since I added that wood piece in there. Now it won't even come down! Before it didn't really have anything to climb but the sides, so I think it's really enjoying the improved setup now :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No I think things are good now since I added that wood piece in there. Now it won't even come down! Before it didn't really have anything to climb but the sides, so I think it's really enjoying the improved setup now :)
Congrats on the happy T :)

Latest posts