• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

OBT sling kept running around

Chingz

3 Year Member
Hi guys. I am really confused right now. I just rehoused my 4cm dls OBT sling in a plastic jar.
I only put 4cms of peat and glued a mineral water inside for it to climb.
Well, I accidentaly pour water for humidity but I think its a liiiiitle bit too much. Not wet or damp, just half moist.
But my T now kept running around in circles on top of the jar.
Sometimes it went down but went up again.
It webbed last night but when I checked after office hour, the web's broken.
Will it be OK or should I start worrying now?
I already punched several holes to make it dry faster. But I am really concerned because my friend said it might die...
:(
Help plz...

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you've got it well-ventilated, it should dry out fairly fast. What you may be seeing is just stress from the rehousing. Did you offer it a hide? A lot of my Ts will circle the top of the enclosure after being put in a new enclosure; they usually settle down after a couple days or so. It could be that it doesn't like the moist substrate; this is a species that prefers to be kept bone dry. If only half of the substrate is moist, you could just let it dry out on its own (a photo of the enclosure would help). If it's moist enough that you start seeing condensation, then I would replace the substrate with dry. Condensation would mean that it's too stuffy in there.

These guys really don't need a moist spot, especially at 4 cm, so you can probably save yourself the stress of worrying about humidity in the future. They WILL drink, however, so you if you can't fit in a water dish, you can just dribble some water on the webbing. :) Hope that helps!

Chingz

3 Year Member
If you've got it well-ventilated, it should dry out fairly fast. What you may be seeing is just stress from the rehousing. Did you offer it a hide? A lot of my Ts will circle the top of the enclosure after being put in a new enclosure; they usually settle down after a couple days or so. It could be that it doesn't like the moist substrate; this is a species that prefers to be kept bone dry. If only half of the substrate is moist, you could just let it dry out on its own (a photo of the enclosure would help). If it's moist enough that you start seeing condensation, then I would replace the substrate with dry. Condensation would mean that it's too stuffy in there.

These guys really don't need a moist spot, especially at 4 cm, so you can probably save yourself the stress of worrying about humidity in the future. They WILL drink, however, so you if you can't fit in a water dish, you can just dribble some water on the webbing. :) Hope that helps!

Thankyou so much....
I tried posting a pic but my internet is quite shaky. :(
Will try posting it later tonight...

Well there is no condensation here and I've put around 25-30 toothpick-sized holes to make it dry faster.
I hope its only an orientation time.
I didn't offer any hide, because last time it dug by itself and totally refused my hide.
(-__-)
Should I gave it more peat to give enough thickness? And should I dig a hole for it? But it rarely ventured down there.

Yesterday it made a hammock and settled on it. But in the ate afternoon the hammock was broclen IDK if thats because of the humidity.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thankyou so much....
I tried posting a pic but my internet is quite shaky. :(
Will try posting it later tonight...

Well there is no condensation here and I've put around 25-30 toothpick-sized holes to make it dry faster.
I hope its only an orientation time.
I didn't offer any hide, because last time it dug by itself and totally refused my hide.
(-__-)
Should I gave it more peat to give enough thickness? And should I dig a hole for it? But it rarely ventured down there.

Yesterday it made a hammock and settled on it. But in the ate afternoon the hammock was broclen IDK if thats because of the humidity.

If there's no condensation, I wouldn't fret too much. Just keep an eye on it. I definitely get you with the hide. Sometimes they will use them for a short bit after being rehoused as it offers some security. They'll hide there during the day, then venture out at night to start work on the enclosure. Yours should settle down regardless.

It probably tore down the web itself because it was a temporary "hide" to use while it settled in. I've had spiders build little hammocks up in the corners while they acclimated, then quickly abandon them. I wouldn't worry too much.

How much depth do you have now?

Chingz

3 Year Member
If there's no condensation, I wouldn't fret too much. Just keep an eye on it. I definitely get you with the hide. Sometimes they will use them for a short bit after being rehoused as it offers some security. They'll hide there during the day, then venture out at night to start work on the enclosure. Yours should settle down regardless.

It probably tore down the web itself because it was a temporary "hide" to use while it settled in. I've had spiders build little hammocks up in the corners while they acclimated, then quickly abandon them. I wouldn't worry too much.

How much depth do you have now?

So far mine only worked the web after chowing mealworm. It will make nice web around but after 2 days will destroy everything. (-___-)
The peat is only as tall as the sling. 4-5cm (2inches)..
Was that enough?

Well, I've made 76 holes to be exact. I hope it will dry out sooner. I was too rash when I pour the spoonfulls of water.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
They WILL drink, however, so you if you can't fit in a water dish, you can just dribble some water on the webbing. :) Hope that helps!
See you never hear great tips like this! I mean I never would have thought about putting drops of water in select locations of the web for hydration!

Chingz

3 Year Member
i mist the web, makes smaller droplets for my little avic and P. vitatta.

Did they really suck the water from the webbing?
I mean I saw from videos abt T drinking over the water dish. But the one with the webbing I never saw it.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes, i've watched my A. sp Peru Purple drink the water droplets form the web and off the wall of the enclosure. Raven, my son's A. versi will drink from the web but not the wall. Haven't seen the P. vitatta drink yet but then again we rarely see him in the daytime other than his back legs sticking out of the little nook he uses as a hide in the cork bark.

Chingz

3 Year Member
Yes, i've watched my A. sp Peru Purple drink the water droplets form the web and off the wall of the enclosure. Raven, my son's A. versi will drink from the web but not the wall. Haven't seen the P. vitatta drink yet but then again we rarely see him in the daytime other than his back legs sticking out of the little nook he uses as a hide in the cork bark.

Well, I think I shouldnt wet anything for a while, since my peat was still moist enough. I've bad dream about it you know (-___-) in my dream, I put my semi adult T in a very damp peat till you can see the water seeping all over the peat from above...... Woke up with a bad mood.
Thankyou all for the reassurances.. Its all good now. I poked a hole on the peat and it used the hole for hiding and made a web tunnel above.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Droplets, on webbing, is good.
Also, for water in wee enclosures, I have seen/read where some people have used golf tees, the plastic blister portion of a blister pack (cleaned, of course, especially if from meds), a cut/filed down chapstick cap, etc.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tattoo ink cups are great to use for slings water dishes . You can get them in differnt sizes to accommodate your needs . I just ordered some. This isnt my idea just something i picked up in a convo with someone.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They look like this
image.jpeg