• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Obt bedding

Daniel Tajon

3 Year Member
What is the best bedding for my obt. I currently put a forest floor and seems to like it.

Attachments

• 1456342096765-45265429.jpg
    1456342096765-45265429.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 44

reptyls

3 Year Member
I would recommend eco earth or another compressed coconut fiber bedding and make it at lease 4" deep. OBT's are opportunistic burrowers. That forest floor stuff will not hold a burrow. Some of the more experienced members should be along and may have better recommendations.

Meludox

3 Year Member
I would recommend eco earth or another compressed coconut fiber bedding and make it at lease 4" deep. OBT's are opportunistic burrowers. That forest floor stuff will not hold a burrow. Some of the more experienced members should be along and may have better recommendations.
Agreed.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Me too. I usually use a mix of coco fibre and Irish Moss Peat. Take everything stores tell you with a pinch of salt......all about mark up usually rather than the benfit of the T. Or maybe I am turning into a cynical old f@rt.

Will

3 Year Member
I used 100% Irish Moss Peat for mine. But when I rehouse I will mix some coco fibre in to hold it together a bit better for burrowing. Or I might use the bed-a-beast stuff which is also very good for burrowing T's

SasyStace

3 Year Member
What is the best bedding for my obt. I currently put a forest floor and seems to like it.

I use a mixture of peat moss, vermiculite, coconut fiber and dirt for firmness. I do this for both my OBT, Lemon Patch and M. Balfouri - they love to burrow and have had no issues. I am almost certain the Balfouri is in heaven I have never seen a T so happy to play in it's substrate hahahhaha

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i use cocofiber with some peat mosss. i would use big pieces like that, dont think the spiders care for the large stuff to climb over and it has some sharp and pointy spots.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
agree with all the others. I've found the best mix for my burrowing T's is eco earth coco fiber, organic top soil (no added fertilizers) and for the ones needing more moisture a handful of vermiculite. Make it moist enough you can squeeze it and not get any water out but it holds shape and doesn't fall apart.

Latest posts