• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not eating

dazray9

Hi advice please, my salmon pink birdeater is coming up for her 3rd birthday, she had a moult about 9 months ago abd normally goes 3 weeks of fasting before a moult, we are now at nearly 2 months with her refusing food ? Is this normal ?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi advice please, my salmon pink birdeater is coming up for her 3rd birthday, she had a moult about 9 months ago abd normally goes 3 weeks of fasting before a moult, we are now at nearly 2 months with her refusing food ? Is this normal ?
This entirely depends on spiders age, size, the amount it's fed and frequency. Temperature will also play a role. Not knowing anything mentioned above I wouldn't worry at all as long as it has water available.

dazray9

This entirely depends on spiders age, size, the amount it's fed and frequency. Temperature will also play a role. Not knowing anything mentioned above I wouldn't worry at all as long as it has water available.
Hi thanks for reply, as I said she's almost 3 yrs old she was fed generally every 3/4 days fresh water always available temperature is regulated at a constant 22 degrees via thermostat on heat mat. She built a very thick Web base on the substrate approx 5 months ago after her last moult which I have not moved or cleared at all is there anything else I should be doing ? My old Chilean rose longest "fast" was 6 weeks before a moult even on her last moult at age 14 she lived in her enclosure to the age of 20 years ! This is my first lasadora so I was a little concerned she is currently approx 7.5/8 inches toe to toe

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Are you certain that your LP is a female? I ask because the male I had was around the same size at that age and eventually stopped eating shortly before he died whereas my female grew more slowly, eats right up to moulting and has reached 8" at 8 years old.

dazray9

Are you certain that your LP is a female? I ask because the male I had was around the same size at that age and eventually stopped eating shortly before he died whereas my female grew more slowly, eats right up to moulting and has reached 8" at 8 years old.
I was told she was a she and about a year old when I bought her in Feb 2021 from a reputable reptile shop who I have purchased from before, as she as the first owner couldn't face handling her, I'd never no how to tell the sex myself!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I was told she was a she and about a year old when I bought her in Feb 2021 from a reputable reptile shop who I have purchased from before, as she as the first owner couldn't face handling her, I'd never no how to tell the sex myself!
Photos of your spider would help determine the sex. A photo of the pedipalps and the underside of the abdomen is all ill need to sex it. My Lasiodora parahybana and klugi females are both 8-10" and they eat right up to molting.

20210304_125303.jpg