• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not again.... :(

Wg25

3 Year Member
Heys guys.
So this is the second time in a row that my poor B.boehmei slings has gotten his abdomen and carapace part of the molt stuck to him. All his legs are free but his abdomen is still mostly intact with his old carapace stuck to it ( again :( ). This time it is stuck a bit worse. Am I doing something wrong? Is the enclosure not humid enough? And should I just drip a few drops of water on him and hope it comes of again???

Wg25

3 Year Member
After he molted he went back into his hide , and dragged his little molt behind him. You can see it sticking out of his hide....still attached to him
IMG-20160108-WA0024.jpg

Here is his enclosure?
IMG-20160108-WA0023.jpg

micheldied

3 Year Member
Where is it stuck to? Brachypelma are usually fine with dry enclosures, but what you can do next time is up the humidity when you know the T is going into premolt. It's possible that this T was just born with something that causes it to have molting problems, who knows.

Wg25

3 Year Member
IMG-20151226-WA0023.jpg

This is the photo of his molt a couple of weeks ago...but it's basically the same. As you can see his abdomen molt is still complete with the carapace attached to it. But this time the legs are also attached to the underside of the abdomen molt.

micheldied

3 Year Member
View attachment 13515
This is the photo of his molt a couple of weeks ago...but it's basically the same. As you can see his abdomen molt is still complete with the carapace attached to it. But this time the legs are also attached to the underside of the abdomen molt.

Are they blocking the book lungs at all?

micheldied

3 Year Member
He is en is hide so I can't see? Scared to disturb him after a molt?

Probably best not to. If the molt is blocking the book lungs, you'll need to do something about it. Other wise, if the T is feeding and moving fine, then it shouldn't be a problem. If the entire molt is stuck there, you can try snipping it off carefully, though it'll likely break off on its own.

Wg25

3 Year Member
Probably best not to. If the molt is blocking the book lungs, you'll need to do something about it. Other wise, if the T is feeding and moving fine, then it shouldn't be a problem. If the entire molt is stuck there, you can try snipping it off carefully, though it'll likely break off on its own.
Okay thanks for the advice Micheldied! Appreciate it :)

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
like the last molt it probably just dried to his abdomen after molt. the carapace wouldn't be connected to abdomen other than with dried fluids from molting. just moisten it and see if it comes off again. I would say ur not doing anything wrong he just doesnt kick the molt away far enough and some pieces dry to him after the process. at least thats my interpretation of the situation. :)

Wg25

3 Year Member
So yesterday I put a bit off vaseline on his abdomen with a little brush. A few hours later he was in his hide with his abdomen and the molt sticking out. I got a pair of tweezers and tried to gently pull it of but only the carapace came of. After trying again I noticed that it was stuck on there very solid.....and it looks like there is poop coming out of the sides of the molt. Im starting to get really worried :(

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Is there any way to pull it away from the body a little and cut it anywhere? It sounds like it may need to be done, if poop is getting caught between and building up..sorry for your troubles Wg25, hope he gets it off again..

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
vaseline doesn't sink in very well, try a little oil or warm water maybe.... so sorry your having these issues Wg25 :(

Wg25

3 Year Member
Thanks guys....this really sucks.
@MassExodus , there is nothing that can be cut anymore its only this cup shaped molt that is mostly covering his spinnerets. I'll see if I can get another photo!
@Kymura , I only had vaseline but will definitely go buy some oil that will be safe to use on my little boehmei :(