• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Noelle the architect

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So Noelle has been spending quite a bit more time in her hide lately (which is one of those plastic rock hides you see for reptile enclosures), which is odd for her; she hasn't even come out much lately to eat her crickets, preferring just to wait till they wander inside lol. I know is normal for many T's, so I wasn't worried, but it had me a bit curious. I checked about to make sure there wasn't anything around her tank causing any disturbances and found everything was perfect. So I decided to shine a light into her hide just to see what she does in there all day.

She's done quite a bit of interior decorating! She's got much of the substrate piled up against the very back wall. The floor is a very lovely, thick silk carpeting, AND she's started to burrow out a tunnel on the one side. I even caught her in mid-dig!

I knew she was a digger, since she always excavates near her water dish, and I will occasionally see piles of dirt around her tank...but it was just really cool to see what she's done inside/underneath that plastic rock. I wish I could photograph the inside of it to show you all, but it would be impossible without moving and destroying all her hard work. I'm definitely going to keep my eye on her home reno and see what she does with that little tunnel she's making :)

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Wow, that sounds so neat! I wonder if my T Lulu will ever do something like that...during the night she casts a few strands of silk here and there but maybe B. smithis aren't web-masters. Your T collection sounds awesome also. Thank you for sharing!

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ahh that is cute. Rosies often seem a bit ocd with the burrows and work really hard to get it exactly how they want it. All of my Rosies have made burrows I think Candy and Tsunami are the most elaborate. None of my red knees have made any attempt at a burrow they just sit in there hides except Hercules who is always out and about.