• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nhandu Chromatus sling

Terrariumerrific

3 Year Member
Hey everyone! I picked up two slings at an expo last weekend and one of them is a Brazilian Red and White. It happened to molt on the drive home and was hiding out in its tiny tube until this morning, where I checked on it just now and found it running around the container looking for more mealworm bits :D

Which leads me to a few questions! How often should I feed it? The breeder recommend cutting two mini mealworms in half for it once a week but idk its abdomen seems a little small for that at once, maybe I should break it up into one twice a week?

Also what exactly is the humidity requirement of this little guy? So far I have it on dry soil that I spritz lightly each morning and after work, and it seems happy but I want to be sure.

Here is the little thing :)
IMG_20190524_235530_565.jpg
IMG_20190524_235530_564.jpg

Terrariumerrific

3 Year Member
I notice now I posted this in the wrong category and am not sure how to get it moved.... So while I'm in brachypelma here is the other picture I was intending to share of my Singapore Blue sling, who has been named LeiLei and burrowed yesterday so probably the only pic I will get of it for a while!

Attachments

• IMG_20190525_000325_540.jpg
    IMG_20190525_000325_540.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 33

Nunua

3 Year Member
Congrats on the new sling. :)
That is a healthy sized abdomen. It's good to remember that if the sling gets fat, it's more vulnerable to have internal / external ruptures. Feeding it once a week is perfectly fine and a common feeding rhythm for slings. Tarantulas don't need food regularly, water is much more important, and that's why you can start feeding it every two weeks or even stop if it starts looking like a fat tick ;)

Nunua

3 Year Member
Thanks Nunua, I thought it seemed like a little too much for it! :)
Tarantulas are opportunistic eaters and often eat just because they found the prey - Some have stronger feeding response than others, species and individual wise. That's a built-in instinct, and we're kinda messing up with it because we give them easy days what comes to hunting ;)

Last edited:

Tnoob

I feed slings twice a week, unless they refuse food. I also have OW species, not sure how that effects things.