• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie questions

Ibnhamar

Hey all!

So I'm new to the hobby and I've done a good bit of lurking and research, but I can't help but be bothered by the same questions. Could anyone tell me if my G. Pulchra sling looks to be in pre-molt? The booty do be lookin plump to me, but I'm not sure if that's my untrained eye and Pulchras normally have this body-to-abdomen ratio as slings. If it's hard to tell from these pictures, I'll try to snap others when I can/it's in a good position. Trying not to disturb it as much as possible, as I just got it about a week ago.

Additionally, I set up it's enclosure to suggestions I compiled across different husbandry guides, but it doesn't seem to be burrowing much or utilizing a few of the little burrows I made, or little hides/concealment. It's mostly chilling out in the open, or on the wall of the enclosure, which makes me nervous about the moisture level at the top of the substrate, but I packed down and wetted layers of substrate progressively (or, inversely so with wettest at bottom). I've read all T's are different of course, so I'm sure all of this may be normal, I just can't help but be an overly paranoid new parent. I want to take great care of it.

Please feel free to scold me if I'm going about any of it in the wrong way or if anything looks off.

Regards and thanks for any help/advice
IMG_7594.jpg
IMG_7593.jpg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the group. Your sling doesn't appear to be in premolt yet but at this age they can snap into it rather fast. I wouldnt feed it anymore . You don't want the abdomen to get much larger then the carapace. Just keep the water dish full and enjoy the show. Here's some eye candy for you....
20220120_173909.jpg
20220109_120551.jpg
20220108_123714.gif

Ibnhamar

Oh my god, that ball rolling gif is to die for. Thanks for the info - I'll keep that in mind about abdomen to carapace size, wasn't sure if there was a certain ratio or something, but just "not bigger than" makes that much easier. Should I be concerned about my sling hanging out on the very edge or wall of the enclosure?

The top of my substrate is dry, but the lower levels have more moisture, and I'm misting one side of the enclosure to see if it prefers that side every couple of days so far, but it seems my spider doesn't prefer it, as it hasn't been moving much substrate or burrowing much. I think I just noticed a possible slight divet it may have made today, but it's small, so it's hard to tell.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Arachnoclown has waaaaay more T experience than I do and probably most T owners, so hopefully he can add to or correct anything.

I tend to keep my G. pulchra in dry environments. A water dish should be fine as they also get water from their food. Misting is not necessary although I do moisten one small area when I refill the water.

Hard to tell from the pics if there is a hide, cork bark or something but sometimes, especially when young, they like to seek cover.

But a terrestrial T hanging around on the sides, in my mind, means it is not “happy” or is uncertain with something on the ground. Usually for me it is when I rehouse them.

I speculate that it may be too moist.

Sometimes my T’s climb the wall to find a warmer spot.

Mr_Armageddon

Welcome to the group. Your sling doesn't appear to be in premolt yet but at this age they can snap into it rather fast. I wouldnt feed it anymore . You don't want the abdomen to get much larger then the carapace. Just keep the water dish full and enjoy the show. Here's some eye candy fView attachment 69248
I've heard others say that G. Pulchra is the "Lab" of the spider world... the GIF of it playing with the ball just confirms it!

nellyitchabelly

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Should I be concerned about my sling hanging out on the very edge or wall of the enclosure?

The top of my substrate is dry, but the lower levels have more moisture.

Dry top & moist below is a great way to keep your substrate. Slings of all species are prone to being fossorial, with even the arboreal slings sometimes burrowing.

The moist deeper substrate is how it would be in nature.

As for climbing, there looks to be a nice soft landing on that moss.

Latest posts