• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie here and to tarantulas

GoodnNuff

Hi everyone, new Tarantula owner thanks to my other half...lol
We've been discussing purchasing a Tarantula, researching good beginner species, sling vs juvenile, etc.
I joined our local T FB group and had been in contact with some local breeders.

Yesterday my wife was out running errands and stopped by one of the box pet stores to pick up crickets and horn worms for the reptiles and she came home with a juvenile tarantula. It was an impulse buy....we try to avoid buying animals from box stores. We have a houseful of animals of various species and that are either rescues, adoptees or purchased from breeders. I think she feels sufficiently guilty over her decision to support this store's pet trade this morning.

She felt it was a bargain she couldn't walk away from. It was labeled as a Brachypelma hamorii and at a price considerable lower than what we've seen listed online from breeders for the same size. So she bought it.
This morning she molted. Do we feed her or wait 24-48 hours?

And should I post a photo of her here for ID, or go to the species specific forum?

Thanks!

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi everyone, new Tarantula owner thanks to my other half...lol
We've been discussing purchasing a Tarantula, researching good beginner species, sling vs juvenile, etc.
I joined our local T FB group and had been in contact with some local breeders.

Yesterday my wife was out running errands and stopped by one of the box pet stores to pick up crickets and horn worms for the reptiles and she came home with a juvenile tarantula. It was an impulse buy....we try to avoid buying animals from box stores. We have a houseful of animals of various species and that are either rescues, adoptees or purchased from breeders. I think she feels sufficiently guilty over her decision to support this store's pet trade this morning.

She felt it was a bargain she couldn't walk away from. It was labeled as a Brachypelma hamorii and at a price considerable lower than what we've seen listed online from breeders for the same size. So she bought it.
This morning she molted. Do we feed her or wait 24-48 hours?

And should I post a photo of her here for ID, or go to the species specific forum?

Thanks!
I advise waiting a week or two, as it gives the Tarantula plenty of time to harden. If you want an identification, feel free to post.

If it looks something like this you have a B. hamorii.

20200712_201727.jpg

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
oops, forgot to attach the photo...View attachment 48905
Hi and welcome.. Congrats on your new T and it moulting successfully :)
It's definitely a hamorii and looks to be a juvenile.. So still a youngster it's hard to estimate age as it depends on how it's been kept and how that's impacted its growth rate- either way its definitely got more growing to do :)
You can remove the moult when she moves away from it leaving it in the enclosure won't cause any issues though

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's a Brachypelma hamorii. Don't offer it any food until 7 days post molt. That gives the tarantulas exoskeleton (fangs) enough time to harden (strengthen). Just make sure there is a small reservoir for it to drink from. Nice find! :)

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Good morning and welcome to TF (The Forum or The Family). Now that you opened Pandora's box, I will look forward to seeing very soon the other tarantulas (impulse buy if you prefer) that you will soon acquire.
Please do not buy anymore Ts from pet stores if you want to save yourself from a world of troubles and worries (unhealthy, parasites, wild caught, advises from people who do not have a clue....), you will be able to find on this forum an insane amount of breeders that have a genuine passion for the hobby and who really care about their animals. In addition of finding a much wider selection of Ts and expert advises, you will also likely be saving a lot of $$$ (or not as you will end up getting more and more Ts :D
Once again, welcome to the hobby, the fun is just beginning.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
welcome to the TF and this wonderful family and hobby.

100% B hamorri, very good starter T and one if the prettiest speiders you can get. Well done :)

If you can, and only if you are not going to disturb the spider, remove the moult and keep it moist and then if you share a picture of the inside of the abdomen, we should be able to sex your spider for you. :)

GoodnNuff

welcome to the TF and this wonderful family and hobby.

100% B hamorri, very good starter T and one if the prettiest speiders you can get. Well done :)

If you can, and only if you are not going to disturb the spider, remove the moult and keep it moist and then if you share a picture of the inside of the abdomen, we should be able to sex your spider for you. :)
I saved her moult and saw a video about soaking in soapy water and examining to determine sex? Can you visualize the gender from a live spider or the exoskeleton is the only way?
And is he/she old enough to make that determination?
I have quite a few tortoises - it is years before they can be visually sexed...lol

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I saved her moult and saw a video about soaking in soapy water and examining to determine sex? Can you visualize the gender from a live spider or the exoskeleton is the only way?
And is he/she old enough to make that determination?
I have quite a few tortoises - it is years before they can be visually sexed...lol
there is the possibility to ventrally sex spiders, Brachypelma being one of the easier, but it is no guarantee and everyone prefers to sex from a moult and I would say yours is big enough by moult, but remember to remove any excess soapy water so as not to reflect light and distort the "business end" LOL.

GoodnNuff

This little fuzzy thing is pretty fascinating to observe.

What are the opinions on A. seemanni as a beginner trantula? We both like the stripes, but as tropicals, are they going to be a bit too skittish and fast for us?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This little fuzzy thing is pretty fascinating to observe.

What are the opinions on A. seemanni as a beginner trantula? We both like the stripes, but as tropicals, are they going to be a bit too skittish and fast for us?
typically they are usually a bit more skittish than the Brachypelma or Grammastola genus. But like everything else in life, there is always the exceptions to the 'rule'. Each spider will have it's own behavioural traits.

As long as you are not planning to handle (which nobody on this forum would recommend anyway) and you are prepared to be on alert whenever feeding of maintaining enclosures, capturing etc, then you should be ok.

My advice is to enjoy your B hamorii, get into a care and feeding routine, observe behaviour and as confidence grows, look for your next furry friend :)

Latest posts