• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie breeder, 1st pairing G. pulchripes. Any feedback appreciated.

Whiterabbit71

3 Year Member
My first time breeding. Pairing my G. pulchripes last night. Not sure how it went. She was receptive at first but then I thought the female was getting aggressive so I intercepted. Can anyone tell me if I was right to intercept or should I have let them continue? I cannot tell if he was successful or not. Should I try pairing again in a couple days? Thank you for any feedback and advice.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I have zero breeding experience, but I've been trying to read and learn about the subject lately. Your timing and judgement looked good to me. I would have intervened at exactly the point you did. The camera angle did not allow us to see what the male was doing with his pedi palps underneath, so no idea if he was getting the job done.

I look forward to what our experienced breeders have to say about it.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
I haven’t bred this species so take anything I say for what its worth. She definitely looked grumpy to me though. That posture at the end looked more like a threat pose than a “come here big boy” kind of pose. He had her up for a good bit of time so its possible he got a good insert, but its hard to tell from the video I think.

I don’t have any specific advice on whether to go again or not. I’m sure someone more experienced with this chime in soon!

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
For whatever it is worth, I'm reading Samuel Marshall's book right now, and he recommends trying it again after two or three weeks. He says, if she's gravid, she'll reject him.
IMG_5929.JPG

Whiterabbit71

3 Year Member
I have zero breeding experience, but I've been trying to read and learn about the subject lately. Your timing and judgement looked good to me. I would have intervened at exactly the point you did. The camera angle did not allow us to see what the male was doing with his pedi palps underneath, so no idea if he was getting the job done.

I look forward to what our experienced breeders have to say about it.
Thank you! I was hoping I made the right call to intercept. I was so nervous. She was a bit ticked off. My camera angle sadly didn’t get a good shoot of what he was doing. I’ll know better for the future about angles. Lol I’m waiting for another sperm web to try again. Thanks for you input! I appreciate it. :)

Whiterabbit71

3 Year Member
I haven’t bred this species so take anything I say for what its worth. She definitely looked grumpy to me though. That posture at the end looked more like a threat pose than a “come here big boy” kind of pose. He had her up for a good bit of time so its possible he got a good insert, but its hard to tell from the video I think.

I don’t have any specific advice on whether to go again or not. I’m sure someone more experienced with this chime in soon!
I agree she threw a threat pose there at the end. Not to receptive. She’s normally very docile and even sociable, she’ll crawl out of her enclosure on to your hand and stay there chilling. But she wasn’t having any of it here. Lol I’m waiting for another sperm web and going to try again. Hope it goes well. It’s nerve racking! Lol

Latest posts