• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Ts, lovin it!

Spidro

3 Year Member
Hey everyone, thought Id make a post to introduce myself to all the members on here. Brand new to the whole tarantula keeping thing, 2 months in, and I think Im already becoming addicted. One spider just cant seem to go through enough crickets... so logically I must get more spiders haha. Anyways Im from Canada, got myself a Haitian Brown a couple months ago, have him set up in a 12x12x12 Ex0-Terra. Gunna add a pic so you can get a good look at him or her I dunno lol. Anyways cheers! Good to meet some others who take not being afraid of spiders to the next level!

Attachments

• fang 2.jpg
    fang 2.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 23

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Nice Haitian! What is she like? I hear they're very aggressive Ts. All the more awesome! Great to have you. :)

Spidro

3 Year Member
Nice Haitian! What is she like? I hear they're very aggressive Ts. All the more awesome! Great to have you. :)

Thanks! Ya shes a beaut. Been able to handle her a few times, very surprised in how well she came out for her first tank cleaning. Certainly has her days though, where I can all but reach in to grab a dead cricket and she'll run out of her hide and pose threat haha. I think its all about reading the species, been very happy with her as a first choice overall.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
She sounds fun! My Rosie loves to make herself look big and scary but she's never bitten...once she's on my hand she's good. :)

Spidro

3 Year Member
Ya shes a blast, making her a T mansion on Friday. Watching this guy named Talon4wd on youtube, he knows how to deck out a terrarium, I wanna do the same. And ur rosie sounds hilarious. You've had good luck with her? Was thinking of getting a rosie sling friday or a pink toe, undecided, lol.

jon ross

3 Year Member
Hi mate. Lovely looking t. I dunno how you still wana handle her once youve seen her stroppy. Ive got a red chille that threat posed the first time i touched her back leg and now i dont really want to hold her in fear of being bitten lol. Maybe im a ***** lol

Spidro

3 Year Member
Hi mate. Lovely looking t. I dunno how you still wana handle her once youve seen her stroppy. Ive got a red chille that threat posed the first time i touched her back leg and now i dont really want to hold her in fear of being bitten lol. Maybe im a ***** lol

Thanks man \m/ I've certainly been happy with her. I've only handled her once, had her walk over my hand a couple times to just to get used to me. I think handling them is all about feeling their moods and having no fear. If u show fear and move too quick or are shaking or anything, they'll get ya, they don't like that lol. And I think the first bite will be the scariest, i haven't gotten bit either yet hahaha. But I didn't buy these guys to handle them, and they're actually happier left alone. Good advice, don't handle them if your not comfortable, good chance you'll get bit or injure your spider. If you must, take baby steps, poke his back legs move him around, just poke him in general. Get him used to you and you used to him. That's how I started with my Haitian until one day she got tired of me poking her, climbed right out of her tank and I had no choice but to handle her. You'll find what works, or come to realize that some tarantulas might just be pretty decorations lol. Cheers! \m/

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have handled a few, not by choice but due to escape. I think my scariest would be the pokies and Togo starburst. I have been bitten twice, once a baboon spider the other wait for it my brachypelma Emilia. I have to say the brachypelma Emilia was my own fault, I wanted to guide the cricket towards her and wham she got me. I think it was either a semi dry bite or a weak venom, I only got a slight headache. I do not advise handling any tarantula, due to the possible harm that could be caused by a fall etc. Also the bite a human receives can't be fatal, but you might be allergic.

Spidro

3 Year Member
Very well put Martin. Im at the point where im perfectly happy with letting my ts do there thing. Taking my oppurtunities to handle them, if theyre in good moods when I get to cleaning their tanks. Side note though, as far as the allergic thing goes; ive heard if ur not allergic to bees, wasps, house spiders etc. U should be ok with fairly mild venom? As far as an allergic reaction goes antways. True or not so much?

jon ross

3 Year Member
Yea that last post is a good idea. Im getting better with handling and have only handled my smithi. Ive been doing it cos i was told if you do it fairly regular from a juvi they will learn that you are not a threat so will be ok i do get the shakes sometimes but the main thing that happens is that i can feel my heart beating wen getting her on my hand. I cant help but think if i get bitten ill jump and hurt the t. I want and need to overcome it tho as ts are with me for life now. Naybe i need to be bitten to show me what its like lol