• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new to the hobby

jrh3

3 Year Member
hi guys, i will soon be a first time T owner, im a member of arachnoboards as well but i found this place also. im from alabama. long time mantid hobbyist, 10 years with mantids. used to breed chameleons as well. hope to find some good info here.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, welcome to the forum and the hobby. Any ideas of which T you're going to get? You'll find there are plenty of people here to give you help and advice so just ask.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome aboard jrh3. Look forward to hearing more about your mantid experiences as well. Check out the Invertebrate Pet Talk topic session.

jrh3

3 Year Member
Hi, welcome to the forum and the hobby. Any ideas of which T you're going to get? You'll find there are plenty of people here to give you help and advice so just ask.

actually i ordered a 1" gbb and 1" b. boehmei, they will ship to me on tuesday. im getting ready to setup cages this weekend. been reading alot, now it seems the gbb is more terrestrial, so im looking for enclosure ideas. boehmei was recommended for beginners so i got it. the gbb was my favorite color wise and they say they are hardy but can be flighty. im a fast learner so i think the gbb wont be too bad. when i started out with mantids i did so much research my first mantid was Gongylus sp. and had 100% success, and they are actually a harder species to keep cause of temps and humidity. i take passion in my pets so im sure Ts will become a habit lol. only fear i have is the bite, lol. maybe it wont happen.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi there, I live in Alabama as well ^^
Welcome to the forum, you'll find most folks welcoming and helpful here :D

owax

3 Year Member
Welcome to the Forum. Great Choices! Please post pictures as they grow. :)
My GBB slings just molted and are now about 1". I use 4" round deli cup. They seem to be just fine, webbing all over the place. Filled 40% or so with sub-straight. Now that they are bigger, I'll put in a small piece of cork bark to play on. Enjoy them and post lots of pics as they grow

jrh3

3 Year Member
Welcome to the Forum. Great Choices! Please post pictures as they grow. :)
My GBB slings just molted and are now about 1". I use 4" round deli cup. They seem to be just fine, webbing all over the place. Filled 40% or so with sub-straight. Now that they are bigger, I'll put in a small piece of cork bark to play on. Enjoy them and post lots of pics as they grow

thx, yeah i will be keeping log of them. with the 4" deli cups do you just take the lid off to feed or do you have a hole with a plug in it?

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Hello Jrh3 welcome to the forum. I have been happily raising a very relaxed and showy Gbb sling since it was 2nd instar- currently hes in pre-molt and this will be his 4th molt with me, the only time I do not really see this guy is when he locks himself away for molting- other than that he likes to be out showing off his beauty and is one of the few T's I own that doesn't scatter or run and hide when I open his enclosure. He is in a critter keeper that is set up dry with a water dish (I see him drink from this from time to time as well as lay in it) with lots of cork and plants and he uses the entire enclosure to web and has numerous tunnels to get around. He's a personal favorite of mine :) I think you will really enjoy raising him/her.

owax

3 Year Member
thx, yeah i will be keeping log of them. with the 4" deli cups do you just take the lid off to feed or do you have a hole with a plug in it?
I just take the lid off to feed...never thought of the cork idea...good idea though if you are worried about runaways. :T:

Latest posts