• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the hobby looking for my first tarantula

Jeremy Sloane

3 Year Member
Hello my name is Jeremy I am new to the tarantula hobby I am looking into a red me tarantula or Chilean rose this will be my first T. I am looking for some advice on my first so far those were two that kept coming up in videos thank you very much and have a good day

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Go for the red knee. More colorful, docile, and don't fast for months like Rose hairs do.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Jeremy. I agree with Chubbs, you'd be better off with a red knee or a curly hair

Louise Rowbotham

3 Year Member
Hi,
Do you two both know much about red knees? I bought a red knee on Sunday 11th October and since then it's has moulted twice, I have spoken to a pet shop owner and he says not. He/she is only 8 month old and has been in the process for well over 12 hours and I am just hoping for some reassurance from someone that knows their stuff? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,015.7 KB · Views: 12

timc

3 Year Member
Molted twice already?!? What are you feeding that thing? Dry substrate with fresh water in a bottle cap and temps in the mid 70s and you should have a happy spider. Weekly feelings of a couple prey items should be good but apparently you don't have a problem with that ;)

Louise Rowbotham

3 Year Member
Thank you for responding.

Thats the problem he has only been fed once since I purchased him less than 2 weeks ago.

I have spoken to a spider expert at my local museum that keeps spiders who told me that he does not think my spider is moulting if no signs are showing of this in a 24 hours period. He did say that this dosen't sound good so we are expecting the worst :( We are going to monitor him for the next 24 hours and keep him hydrayted.

Will keep you posted.

Latest posts