• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Tarantulas!

ArvadaLanee

3 Year Member
Hello all. I have just become the owner of a 5 year old, female, rose hair tarantula! I have never owned an arachnid, unless you count the house spiders in my bathroom I gave names. Lol! I am the biggest animal lover you'd ever want to meet, but I never dreamed I'd be adopting a large spider.

A little backstory: I have 3 sons, age 16, and 9 year old twins. One of my twins, named Caesar, came up to me one day when he was 5, and announced that he wanted to be an entomologist when he grows up. I was very impressed he knew that word! He has always loved finding bugs, and keeping them, and learning about them. I have helped him raise butterflies, and ladybugs. I have caught insects with him outside. I have even helped him catch jumping spiders. But he has always wanted a tarantula. I know very little about tarantulas, but when I read that they could throw stinging hairs at you, I was pretty freaked out. I told Caesar he was too young to care for one by himself, that I couldn't do it. I tried getting him other pets. I gave him a kitten, and a snake, and he does love them, but I know he has always still wanted the tarantula. Now he is nine, and still saying he is going to be an entomologist. He still collects bugs, and feeds them and holds them, and reads books about them.

So last night, when my boyfriend told me that his boss needed to find a home for his tarantula, I decided it was time. I have been stung by jellyfish, scorpions, swarmed and stung by enough yellow jackets to make my arm look like a giant sausage. I was bitten by Brown recluse spiders so many times, I started building an immunity to them. Why am I freaking out over a few little stinging hairs?
And so we went over to get our newest family member, and I was introduced to "Blanche." I was told that she is not a big eater, and that she is tempermental, and somewhat moody. I was a little worried about that, but then her previous owner proceeded to scoop her right up like it was nothing, and when I held out my hand, she crawled right onto it, and just sat there. I actually held her!
Now she is here, in her new home, and I am anxious to learn everything I can about her, and teach my little entomologist, and hopefully give Blanche a long and healthy life.

Sorry for the LONG intro. I am just excited, and a little nervous, still, even though I already love the little thing. Hopefully I will learn a lot here. I have so many questions! :)

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Welcome here ArvadaLanee. It's a friendly place where lots of people are willing to share questions & answers about their passion. Don't hesitate to ask questions, to tell us about your Grammostola (behavior, events, molts, etc.!) and to send pictures!

I own a Grammostola rosea (not porteri, don't know which one you have) who is currently fasting. She's also five years and female, and have not eaten since september. I'm hoping for a molt soon, but who knows with these ones....!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello all. I have just become the owner of a 5 year old, female, rose hair tarantula! I have never owned an arachnid, unless you count the house spiders in my bathroom I gave names. Lol! I am the biggest animal lover you'd ever want to meet, but I never dreamed I'd be adopting a large spider.

A little backstory: I have 3 sons, age 16, and 9 year old twins. One of my twins, named Caesar, came up to me one day when he was 5, and announced that he wanted to be an entomologist when he grows up. I was very impressed he knew that word! He has always loved finding bugs, and keeping them, and learning about them. I have helped him raise butterflies, and ladybugs. I have caught insects with him outside. I have even helped him catch jumping spiders. But he has always wanted a tarantula. I know very little about tarantulas, but when I read that they could throw stinging hairs at you, I was pretty freaked out. I told Caesar he was too young to care for one by himself, that I couldn't do it. I tried getting him other pets. I gave him a kitten, and a snake, and he does love them, but I know he has always still wanted the tarantula. Now he is nine, and still saying he is going to be an entomologist. He still collects bugs, and feeds them and holds them, and reads books about them.

So last night, when my boyfriend told me that his boss needed to find a home for his tarantula, I decided it was time. I have been stung by jellyfish, scorpions, swarmed and stung by enough yellow jackets to make my arm look like a giant sausage. I was bitten by Brown recluse spiders so many times, I started building an immunity to them. Why am I freaking out over a few little stinging hairs?
And so we went over to get our newest family member, and I was introduced to "Blanche." I was told that she is not a big eater, and that she is tempermental, and somewhat moody. I was a little worried about that, but then her previous owner proceeded to scoop her right up like it was nothing, and when I held out my hand, she crawled right onto it, and just sat there. I actually held her!
Now she is here, in her new home, and I am anxious to learn everything I can about her, and teach my little entomologist, and hopefully give Blanche a long and healthy life.

Sorry for the LONG intro. I am just excited, and a little nervous, still, even though I already love the little thing. Hopefully I will learn a lot here. I have so many questions! :)
Welcome and congratulations on your new pet. I hope you and especially Ceaser enjoy being part of this wonderful hobby. I am new to this forum but have kept tarantulas for over 20 years. I have yet to see anything negative on this forum. EVERYONE is really friendly and do not judge always happy to share advice and answer any questions you may have. Unlike many other forums! I am 100% certain you will enjoy Blanche being part of your family. Must warn you though.......it is very very addictive keeping spiders. I am up to 15 at the moment and considering a garage conversion. Lol. Enjoy the forum.:)

ArvadaLanee

3 Year Member
vzg9xh.jpg

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome. Since we were told that Blanche hasn't been offered food in quite a while, we decided to offer her a cricket, and a wax worm, just to see if she is ready to eat yet. She went into her barrel hide while I wasn't watching, and I'm not sure if she took the wax worm, because I can't see it anywhere now. Just before we put the food in there, my boyfriend thought he might try to pick her up, but when he put his hand in her tank, she made a defensive posture, and I told him I thought it was a bad idea. I think she may need some time to adjust, and get comfortable. I am a little nervous about trying to remove uneaten food tomorrow. Hopefully, Blanche won't be upset if I'm reaching in there. I have been reading, but I still have a lot to figure out. I don't know what type of rose hairs there are and how to tell them apart, and there seems to be some debate about that. I am trying to include a pic in this post, so hopefully it works. :)

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Yes, there are lots of taxonomy (names) debates for Grammostola rosea. In the hobby (but it's not officially determined), we use to call yours Grammostola porteri. Grammosola rosea seems to have a more reddish body.

If you look at the dark spot on the back of your T, it seems she's close to a molt. It means she won't eat and must be left alone with a full waterdish. She most probably hasn't eaten the waxworm (and unfortunately they tend to burrow deep underground). If you can, it's better to remove all uneaten food because of the approaching molt. But only if possible without disturbing all the enclosure and the T.

If you aren't too comfortable working in the terrarium because of the T, you can try to block her inside her hide with a piece of cardboard for instance, so that you can work inside the enclosure without being frightened by the T. Good luck!!!

About handling, some Grammostola porteri/rosea are more nervous/psycho than their reputation. Mine is very skittish: maybe she'll calm down with the years... Before attempting to handle, it's a good idea to check the mood of the T with a stick for instance. But don't try handling her neither when in premolt nor just after molt.

ArvadaLanee

3 Year Member
I love the name Blanche, too, but I can't take credit for it. Her previous owner gave it to her, and we wanted to keep it, because we plan to keep in touch with her previous owner, and let him know how she is doing.

Oh my! Close to a molt, and we just got her! Now I am a bit nervous, as I have read this could be tricky. I will try to remove the food I offered, but I will check her mood. Although we were told she can be quite feisty, she seems fairly calm with me, (maybe because my hands are smaller and I move quite slowly?) and she hasn't shown any fear yet if I put my hand in the tank. I have a ton of questions about molting, but I think I will go ahead and make a post about it in the molting section. Thanks so much eveyone!

ArvadaLanee

3 Year Member
Correction: There is not a section specifically for molting, so I am going to make the new thread in the general discussion area. Feel free to give us all your best molting advise, so we can keep Blanche as comfortable as possible! Thanks!

syzygy

3 Year Member
Sorry for embarrassing you, but Happy Birthday! Today is my daughters b-day too...also Abraham Lincoln's FWIW.

ArvadaLanee

3 Year Member
Thanks, syzygy! Happy birthday to you, as well! I did know that today is also Lincoln's birthday, but did you know we share a birthday with a few other interesting people? We share a birthday with famous biologist, Charles Darwin. The author, Judy Blume, was born on this day. A few celebrities we share a birthday with are Joanna Kerns, Arsenio Hall, Josh Brolin, and Chritina Ricci, who is exactly one year older than I am.
I hope you have a wonderful day! I am going to dye my hair, take my twins boys out shopping, maybe get my lip pierced, and then hang out at home with my kids, my boyfriend, and all our beloved animals. Maybe I will make some homemade margaritas. ;)

Latest posts