• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to tarantulas

Linda Fluekiger

3 Year Member
Hi, my name is Linda. I just bought my first tarantula. She is a Rose Hair and man am I nervous. She (not named yet) is very sweet and gentle. I just want to make sure I do everything correct to make sure she has the perfect life.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, welcome to the hobby. You will learn lots here and you will soon be wanting more Ts.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome aboard. Great start as the Rose Hair is hardy, easy to care for species and now that you have found the forum, you are well on your way to providing that T with everything she will need and then some :)

Linda Fluekiger

3 Year Member
Thank you. My first question, do I need to damp the substrate for the Rosie or not? Internet says yes, but from what I read here, no.

Thanks in advance,
Linda

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
No. they prefer the sub dry but make sure she has a water bowl.

Morgan94

3 Year Member
Just keep her dry extremely low humidity with a full water dish and she be happy as anything.
and don't freak out if she goes off food or wont eat rosies are notorious for fasting even when they aren't going to molt but like Denny Dee said they are pretty hardy a lot of people consider them "bullet proof"
Good luck with your new T and welcome to the addiction I mean hobby haha
and if u have anymore questions you can message me on here

TabithasMom

3 Year Member
Rosies are awesome, and pretty bullet proof. I've had mine for over ten years (she's the smiling beauty in my profile picture), and she's still the one I love to bring out for guests or just watch her do her happy spider dance while slurping on a cricket. :)

Linda Fluekiger

3 Year Member
I referred to Lucy as funny to my co-workers, they do not get it. When I feed her, she either 1) takes the food and is happy or 2) she raises her 2 front legs like Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video. That cracks me up. The "Thriller" pose means, no thanks, not hungry.

Moggy

3 Year Member
I referred to Lucy as funny to my co-workers, they do not get it. When I feed her, she either 1) takes the food and is happy or 2) she raises her 2 front legs like Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video. That cracks me up. The "Thriller" pose means, no thanks, not hungry.
Yep, my desert blonde does the 'thriller too' so funny! :D

Latest posts